Merge changes with 1.5 branch?

Showing 1-4 of 4 messages
Merge changes with 1.5 branch? snoogie 1/27/10 3:53 PM
Hi everybody,

since I never realy used subversion I was just asking myself if it was
possible to migrate the changes that have been made in the trunk (like
expiration, lite/pro stuff, eula) and merge it with the branch for
1.5?
Greets
Snoogie

Re: Merge changes with 1.5 branch? plusminus (Nicolas Gramlich) 1/28/10 5:21 AM
To be honest I'm not really the 'merger'.
But of course it is possible.

Most of the stuff can be copied, as not to much has changed between the branches so far.
I.e. one could take the revision-diff and manually work out the changes.

Regards,
Nicolas
Re: Merge changes with 1.5 branch? phreed 1/28/10 8:27 AM
Some discussion on branches and merging would probably be good before
this goes too far.

Hard Rules:
Generally bug fixes happen on the trunk.
For each supported platform there is a  "tagged" version.
There is an owner associated with each supported platform who is
responsible for merging for that platform.
The tagged version is expected to be "correct".

Recommendations:
Each big bug fix gets its own branch.
Big bugs should be merged into the trunk which subsequently find their
way into the tagged versions with the other bugs.
For each supported platform there is a "branch" which eventually
becomes a "tagged" version.
Each merge is preceded by construction of a new branch from the tagged
version which will be merged back into the tagged version.
Major features get their own branch (this is to simplify merging) and
it is the responsibility of the owners to merge it into their
platform.

Comments:
Merging isn't to bad if the branching is done properly (it's awful if
the branching is done improperly).
I will be doing most of my work on the 2.1 branch so I would be
willing to own that tag.
I have been doing some set up and my current hardware is 1.5 so I
could take that one as well (for now).
I am not particularly interested in 1.6.
I'd rather keep away from the trunk and being responsible for fixing
any real bugs for a while (the eula stuff was simple enough though).

On Jan 28, 7:21 am, Nicolas Gramlich <nicolasgraml...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> To be honest I'm not really the 'merger'.
> But of course it is possible.
>
> Most of the stuff can be copied, as not to much has changed between the
> branches so far.
> I.e. one could take the revision-diff and manually work out the changes.
>
> Regards,
> Nicolas
>

> On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 12:53 AM, snoogie <snoogi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi everybody,
>
> > since I never realy used subversion I was just asking myself if it was
> > possible to migrate the changes that have been made in the trunk (like
> > expiration, lite/pro stuff, eula) and merge it with the branch for
> > 1.5?
> > Greets
> > Snoogie

Re: Merge changes with 1.5 branch? phreed 1/28/10 8:48 AM

I just noticed that google code has support for code reviews.

http://code.google.com/p/support/wiki/CodeReviews

Incorporating the code review process into the earlier comments.
Any merge should be preceded by a code review.
* A set of bug fixes from the trunk.
* A feature branch
* Releasing a branch as an update to a tagged version
You get the idea.

Examples:
I have an idea for a cool new feature.
I make a feature branch.
I check in a set of revisions related to that branch.
I invite the owners of the supported platforms for which the feature
is relevant to review the relevant revisions.
The owners approval of the feature.
The feature will be merged into the supported platform.

I fix the eula in the trunk.
I invite the owners of all supported platforms to review the relevant