AMPL IDE beta: Try out the new AMPL interface

Showing 1-8 of 8 messages
AMPL IDE beta: Try out the new AMPL interface AMPL Optimization 7/19/13 10:08 AM
We invite you to try out AMPL IDE, our new multi-window interface to AMPL.  Instructions for installing and using a beta version of AMPL IDE are available at

The first version of this new "integrated development environment" is designed to appeal to existing AMPL users, while providing a platform for future enhancements.  Commands are typed at an AMPL prompt in the familiar way, and all installed solvers can be accessed.  Advantages include:

  • Integration of the AMPL command and editing windows
  • Syntax highlighting for model and data files
  • Quick links to error locations
  • Consistent appearance and operation across platforms
AMPL IDE is being developed in collaboration with OptiRisk Systems Ltd.  Following the beta test, it will be included with all versions of the AMPL product at no additional charge.

We invite you to try AMPL IDE beta and to send your observations, suggestions, and complaints to us at beta@ampl.com.  Your reactions will provide valuable guidance as we prepare the first general release version.  The beta test period will extend until September 15, 2013.

Re: AMPL IDE beta: Try out the new AMPL interface arr...@gmail.com 8/15/13 7:34 AM
Sounds interesting. Hope it's better than GAMS interface.
I would like to try, but I only have access to AMPL linux version.
Re: [AMPL 7363] Re: AMPL IDE beta: Try out the new AMPL interface Victor 8/15/13 9:22 AM
There is a Linux version of the AMPL IDE. Please see http://www.ampl.com/IDE/beta.html#Linux for download links and installation instructions.

HTH,
Victor

Re: [AMPL 7363] Re: AMPL IDE beta: Try out the new AMPL interface arr...@gmail.com 8/19/13 9:32 PM
Thank you Victor.

But I don't have a machine installed with Linux. I remotely log in a linux machine that has an AMPL license. I can not lunch an IDE from my computer. I would like to try on my MAC, but I don't have a license.
Re: [AMPL 7386] Re: AMPL IDE beta: Try out the new AMPL interface Victor 8/20/13 10:17 AM
You can use VNC, NoMachine or some other remote desktop software to run the AMPL IDE on a remote Linux machine where you have a license. Alternatively, you can use a student version of AMPL to try the IDE on any system where you don't have a license.

HTH,
Victor
Re: [AMPL 7363] Re: AMPL IDE beta: Try out the new AMPL interface bwmoore22 8/22/13 8:18 AM
Are you using ssh to log in to the Linux machine?  If so try

ssh -X hostname

From OS X, Linux and even a Cygwin shell on Windows, this should work.  Just enter the command of the graphical (X windows) application and it should come up on your desktop.  Getting this to work under Cygwin can take a bit of work.  On OS X you will have to install the X server from the app store.  Linux should work with no additional effort.

If you want a full desktop, look into Xnest and XDMC (or equivalent).  This will take some set-up on the part of the system administrator and there are some security issues that have to be addressed (or accepted as a reasonable risk).  This will work if the machine is a multi-user server, but can be slow due to transfer of large large amounts of data for the entire desktop GUI.

A VNC application will work if you have authority to get to the console of the remote machine, but probably not if it is a multi-user server.

Bruce
Re: [AMPL 7363] Re: AMPL IDE beta: Try out the new AMPL interface arr...@gmail.com 8/23/13 10:11 PM
Hi bwmoore22, thanks for your help. I guess the linux server should have the newest AMPL version, which has the interface feature. But I don't have permission to install software on the server. I will try to get a trial license for my laptop. I'm looking forward to the new experience.
Re: [AMPL 7363] Re: AMPL IDE beta: Try out the new AMPL interface bwmoore22 8/27/13 11:56 AM
Check with your system administrator.  You probably don't have authorities to install to the system directories, but you may (may not) have both technical and business/procedural authority to install the beta in your home directory, though you would have to specify the complete path or update your PATH statement.  If you volunteer to be a tester for a beta that the system administrator knows that he/she will eventually install, you can probably get this set up to run from your home directory.

Bruce Moore