4K keys increasing size of messages?

Showing 1-9 of 9 messages
4K keys increasing size of messages? Anonymous 12/30/14 11:08 AM
I just noticed that messages encrypted using a 4K key appear to
be larger that those using the 1K keys.  In some cases double to
three times.  Will this cause the messages to fail if they
encounter a remailer message size limit?

Re: 4K keys increasing size of messages? Bergman Admin 12/31/14 4:35 AM
Re: 4K keys increasing size of messages? Anonymous Remailer (austria) 12/31/14 6:54 AM

> I just noticed that messages encrypted using a 4K key appear to be larger
> that those using the 1K keys.  In some cases double to three times.  Will
> this cause the messages to fail if they encounter a remailer message size
> limit?

> Mixmaster remailers make every outgoing message the same size (approx 28K).
> If the original message is smaller than 28k it will be padded. If it is
> larger than 28K it will be broken into multiple 28K pieces.

> And so you need not worry about Mixmaster messages being rejected because they
> are too large.

> PGP-encrypted messages are a different story. They are not padded to 28k
> like mix messages are.

  I think he is talking about klen.

Re: 4K keys increasing size of messages? Bergman Admin 12/31/14 9:02 AM
Yes, I assumed he was talking about klen.

So, for example Paranoia Remailer has a klen of 150k.
It would therefore accept a mix message of length 28k.
And it would silently drop a cpunk message of 151k.
Re: 4K keys increasing size of messages? Anonymous 12/31/14 9:12 AM
On Wed, 31 Dec 2014 12:02:05 -0500, Bergman Admin <nob...@bergman.delphy.org> wrote:

>Yes, I assumed he was talking about klen.
>
>So, for example Paranoia Remailer has a klen of 150k.
>It would therefore accept a mix message of length 28k.
>And it would silently drop a cpunk message of 151k.

My understanding is that a klen of 150k would also drop a multi-part mix message to the final recipient that exceeded 150k.

Re: 4K keys increasing size of messages? Bergman Admin 12/31/14 9:43 AM
You are likely correct, Stray Cat. And I'm mistaken. I'm going to send a few
multi-part test messages to confirm.
unk...@googlegroups.com 12/31/14 11:27 AM <This message has been deleted.>
Re: 4K keys increasing size of messages? Anonymous Remailer (austria) 12/31/14 11:53 AM

> Yes, I assumed he was talking about klen.

> So, for example Paranoia Remailer has a klen of 150k.
> It would therefore accept a mix message of length 28k.
> And it would silently drop a cpunk message of 151k.

> My understanding is that a klen of 150k would also drop a multi-part mix message to the final recipient that exceeded 150k.

  Sounds like Bergman is about to eat crow again.

Re: 4K keys increasing size of messages? John Kennerson 12/31/14 1:30 PM
In article
<dcb8aaltqiquql0h4qm0utcsm95ol63u27@news.stray.cat.edu>
Yes that is what I was asking about.  Thank you all for
responding.  I think I understand this better now.