Karl E. Wagner's Best/Worst Lists

Showing 1-29 of 29 messages
Karl E. Wagner's Best/Worst Lists DHammann 11/10/00 12:00 AM
Greetings,

Does anyone know if the Best and Worst Horror Book lists with commentaries that
the late Karl Edward Wagner did for the Twilight Zone Magazine in the early
eighties was ever reproduced on the net somewhere?  Or can anyone tell me what
issue it was published in?

Thanks,

David
alt.horror.cthulhu

Karl E. Wagner's Best/Worst Lists paghat 11/10/00 12:00 AM
Karl E. Wagner's Best/Worst Lists jimrockhill 11/11/00 12:00 AM
In article <20001110171507.18404.00000534@ng-mk1.aol.com>,
  dham...@aol.com (DHammann) wrote:
Those lists of 13 (there were several of them) were compiled by not
only Wagner, but Thomas Disch, R.S. Hadji and T.E.D. Klein as well.
They appear in the June and August 1983 issues of TWILIGHT ZONE
MAGAZINE.

Jim
--
jimro...@my-deja.SPAMENOSPAM.com


Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Karl E. Wagner's Best/Worst Lists blackf...@my-deja.com 11/14/00 5:30 PM
In article <spammers-die-paghat-1011001425240001@soggy70.drizzle.com>,


Where's the 'worst' list? Was there one?


-bf, curious


Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Karl E. Wagner's Best/Worst Lists jimrockhill 11/15/00 12:00 AM
In article <8uso7c$32d$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,That was one of R.S. Hadji's lists.

Jim
--
jimro...@my-deja.SPAMENOSPAM.com


Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Karl E. Wagner's Best/Worst Lists John Pelan 11/15/00 12:00 AM
In article <8uu3oo$3ih$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,

  jimrockhill <jimro...@my-deja.com> wrote:
> > Where's the 'worst' list? Was there one?
> >
> > -bf, curious
> >
> > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > Before you buy.
> >
> That was one of R.S. Hadji's lists.
>
> Jim
> --

Well, don't hold back! Let's have a look at it! ;-)


--
John Pelan (Nominating Sydney Horler's collection for the top spot...)

www.darksidepress.com


Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Karl E. Wagner's Best/Worst Lists Randy Money 11/15/00 12:00 AM

Yeesh.  As usual, more reading I haven't done, yet.

I did read _The Screaming Mimi_ (Fredric Brown) within the last year.
Interesting book, kind of a step toward Woolrich territory.  But it
definitely struck me as 1940s -- something about the characters,
specifically the main protagonist.  It's one of the things that bothers
me about some of Woolrich: the two romantic leads in _The Night Has a
Thousand Eyes_, for instance.  Maybe that's what bothers me: I read them
and see them played in '40s movies by John Hodiak and Evelyn Ankers, or
Dennis Morgan (or O'Keefe -- he was in _Leopard Man_ based on a Woolrich
novel) and Audrey Totter.  

Randy

Karl E. Wagner's Best/Worst Lists John Pelan 11/15/00 12:00 AM
In article <3A12C66F...@library.syr.edu>,

  Randy Money <rbm...@library.syr.edu> wrote:
It's one of the things that bothers me about some of Woolrich: the two
romantic leads in _The Night Has a Thousand Eyes_, for instance.  Maybe
that's what bothers me: I read them and see them played in '40s movies
by John Hodiak and Evelyn Ankers, or Dennis Morgan (or O'Keefe -- he
was in _Leopard Man_ based on a Woolrich novel) and Audrey Totter.
>
> Randy


Visualizing Evelyn Ankers bothers you? WTF?

;-)


--
John Pelan

www.darksidepress.com


Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Karl E. Wagner's Best/Worst Lists rba...@hotmail.com 11/15/00 12:00 AM
In article <8uuibc$gqe$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,

  John Pelan <jpe...@cnw.com> wrote:
> In article <3A12C66F...@library.syr.edu>,
>   Randy Money <rbm...@library.syr.edu> wrote:
> It's one of the things that bothers me about some of Woolrich: the two
> romantic leads in _The Night Has a Thousand Eyes_, for instance.
Maybe
> that's what bothers me: I read them and see them played in '40s movies
> by John Hodiak and Evelyn Ankers, or Dennis Morgan (or O'Keefe -- he
> was in _Leopard Man_ based on a Woolrich novel) and Audrey Totter.
> >
> > Randy
>
> Visualizing Evelyn Ankers bothers you? WTF?
>
> ;-)
>
> --
> John Pelan


Ahhh, yes, we used to be quite the pair. Here's a snapshot of me and
Evelyn from happier days...

http://www1.50megs.com/finvarra/pics/Ankers02.jpg?50m=image


rbadac, wistfully

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Karl E. Wagner's Best/Worst Lists Randy Money 11/15/00 12:00 AM
John Pelan wrote:
>
> In article <3A12C66F...@library.syr.edu>,
>   Randy Money <rbm...@library.syr.edu> wrote:
> It's one of the things that bothers me about some of Woolrich: the two
> romantic leads in _The Night Has a Thousand Eyes_, for instance.  Maybe
> that's what bothers me: I read them and see them played in '40s movies
> by John Hodiak and Evelyn Ankers, or Dennis Morgan (or O'Keefe -- he
> was in _Leopard Man_ based on a Woolrich novel) and Audrey Totter.
> >
> > Randy
>
> Visualizing Evelyn Ankers bothers you? WTF?
>
> ;-)
>
> --
> John Pelan

Well, when you put it that way, no.  Though I rather prefer Julia Adams
or Gene Tierney or Martha Vickers, and I'm darned fond of visualizing
Jane Russell and ...

...

YOU JUST HAD TO START THIS, DIDN'T YOU?

Randy

Karl E. Wagner's Best/Worst Lists paghat 11/15/00 12:00 AM

I got this message when I tried to view that:
"We don't allow hotlinking to files on our server from other servers.
50Megs.com is to be used as a website service and not a place to store
files on."
But when I hit reload they let me see it anyway.
You sure were handsome back in those days.
-paggers
 
>
> rbadac, wistfully

Karl E. Wagner's Best/Worst Lists Randy Money 11/15/00 12:00 AM
paghat wrote:
>
> > Ahhh, yes, we used to be quite the pair. Here's a snapshot of me and
> > Evelyn from happier days...
> >
> > http://www1.50megs.com/finvarra/pics/Ankers02.jpg?50m=image
>
> I got this message when I tried to view that:
> "We don't allow hotlinking to files on our server from other servers.
> 50Megs.com is to be used as a website service and not a place to store
> files on."
> But when I hit reload they let me see it anyway.
> You sure were handsome back in those days.
> -paggers
>


Dang.  Didn't work for me.

Randy

Karl E. Wagner's Best/Worst Lists jimrockhill 11/15/00 12:00 AM
In article <8uufoe$e96$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,Well, John, I am not sure whether posting the remainder of these lists
(minus the commentary) could be considered an infringement of copyright
or not, but I will look them up when I get back home.

Jim
--
jimro...@my-deja.SPAMENOSPAM.com


Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Karl E. Wagner's Best/Worst Lists r...@my-deja.com 11/15/00 12:00 AM
In article <8uuk11$ide$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,
  rba...@hotmail.com wrote:

> Ahhh, yes, we used to be quite the pair. Here's a snapshot of me and
> Evelyn from happier days...
>
> http://www1.50megs.com/finvarra/pics/Ankers02.jpg?50m=image
>
> rbadac, wistfully


And here's a photo of Evelyn and me before
that lounge lizard rbadac stole her heart. To
this day, it beats me what she ever saw in him.

http://www.shill.simplenet.com/actress/
ankere02.jpg

RPN (still furious)


Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Karl E. Wagner's Best/Worst Lists r...@my-deja.com 11/15/00 12:00 AM
In article <8uuk11$ide$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,
  rba...@hotmail.com wrote:

> Ahhh, yes, we used to be quite the pair. Here's a snapshot of me and
> Evelyn from happier days...
>
> http://www1.50megs.com/finvarra/pics/Ankers02.jpg?50m=image
>
> rbadac, wistfully


And here's a photo of Evelyn and me before
that lounge lizard rbadac stole her heart. To
this day, it beats me what she ever saw in him.

http://www.shill.simplenet.com/actress/
ankere02.jpg

RPN (still furious)


Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Karl E. Wagner's Best/Worst Lists John Brower 11/15/00 12:00 AM
In article <3A12E59E...@library.syr.edu>,
  Randy Money <rbm...@library.syr.edu> wrote:

> Dang.  Didn't work for me.

Me either.

So I'm picturing Evelyn with a member of the Nairobi Trio.

John B.

~-------------------------------------------------------------~

"You'll never make it. Give up now. Quit squirming. You idiot. Who
cares? Surrender. It won't work. Aha! Told you so."   -- Matt Groening,
LIFE IN HELL (1982)


Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Karl E. Wagner's Best/Worst Lists paghat 11/15/00 12:00 AM
In article <8uutn7$ram$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>, r...@my-deja.com wrote:

> In article <8uuk11$ide$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,
>   rba...@hotmail.com wrote:
>
> > Ahhh, yes, we used to be quite the pair. Here's a snapshot of me and
> > Evelyn from happier days...
> >
> > http://www1.50megs.com/finvarra/pics/Ankers02.jpg?50m=image
> >
> > rbadac, wistfully
>
>
> And here's a photo of Evelyn and me before
> that lounge lizard rbadac stole her heart. To
> this day, it beats me what she ever saw in him.
>
> http://www.shill.simplenet.com/actress/
> ankere02.jpg
>
> RPN (still furious)

Okay, here's me in my coquettish youth with the REAL johnny rbadac:
http://198.60.22.4/~emailbox/barry/gb9.jpg

-paghat

Karl E. Wagner's Best/Worst Lists jimrockhill 11/15/00 12:00 AM
In article <8uufoe$e96$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,
  John Pelan <jpe...@cnw.com> wrote:
O.K. I have all of the non-Wagner lists typed up, but still am not sure
whether or not to post them. As these are almost 20 years old and one
would think that the writers would be happy to know anyone was still
interested in their lists, I would suspect that it MIGHT be alright to
post these minus each author's individual commentary, but whether the
authors or Rod Seling's estate would agree with me, I do not know.

Jim
--
jimro...@my-deja.SPAMENOSPAM.com
--
jimro...@my-deja.SPAMENOSPAM.com


Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Karl E. Wagner's Best/Worst Lists John Pelan 11/15/00 6:00 PM
In article <8uv5vr$2o4$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,
  jimrockhill <jimro...@my-deja.com> wrote:


Jim:

To follow the letter of "fair use" as I understand it, it's perfectly
permissible to reproduce the lists with attribution sans commentary.

--
John Pelan

www.darksidepress.com


Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Karl E. Wagner's Best/Worst Lists jimrockhill 11/16/00 12:00 AM
In article <8uveln$a31$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,Thanks, John. That seems reasonable.

O.K. Here are the non-Wagner lists, minus the individual authors'
commentary, from the two-part article "The Five Foot Fantasy Book-
Shelf" in TWILIGHT ZONE MAGAZINE, June and August 1983:

13 SUPREME MASTERS OF WEIRD FICTION (R.S Hadji)
1. Algernon Blackwood
2. Ray Bradbury
3. Walter de la Mare
4. Hanns Heinz Ewers
5. E.T.A. Hoffmann
6. M.R. James
7. Franz Kafka
8. J. Sheridan LeFanu
9. H.P. Lovecraft
10. Arthur Machen
11. Edgar Allan Poe
12. Jean Ray
13. Claude Seignolle

13 ALL-TIME CLASSICS OF FANTASY (Thomas M. Disch)
1. William Godwin CALEB GODWIN, OR THINGS AS THEY ARE
2. Matthew Gregory Lewis THE MONK
3. Baron de la Motte Fouque UNDINE
4. Charles Maturin MELMOTH THE WANDERER
5. James Hogg CONFESSIONS OF A JUSTIFIED SINNER
6. Charlotte Perkins Gilman "The Yellow Wallpaper"
7. Henry James THE TURN OF THE SCREW
8. Oliver Onions "The Beckoning Fair one"
9. David Garnett "Lady into Fox"
10. Guy Endore THE WEREWOLF OF PARIS
11. Fritz Leiber CONJURE WIFE
12. Sarban (John W. Wall) THE SOUND OF HIS HORN
13. Donald Barthelme SNOW WHITE

13 WORST STINKERS OF THE WEIRD (R.S. Hadji)
1. Marie Corelli THE SORROWS OF SATAN
2. M.P. Dare UNHOLY RELICS
3. Otto Fredrick COUNT DRACULA'S CANADIAN AFFAIR
4. Vern Hassan THE GRIP OF FEAR
5. Ivar Jorgenson REST IN AGONY
6. Mallory T. Knight DRACUTWIG
7. Brian Lumley THE TRANSITION OF TITUS CROWE
8. Arabella Randolphe THE VAMPIRE TAPES
9. John Saul SUFFER THE CHILDREN
10. John Shirley CELLARS
11. Guy n. Smith THE SUCKING PIT
12. Bram Stoker THE LAIR OF THE WHITE WORN
13. Violet Van Der Elst THE VAMPIRE BARONESS

13 GREAT WORKS OF FANTASY FROM THE LAST 13 YEARS (Thomas M. Disch)
1. Gabriel Garcia Marquez ONE HUNDRED YEARS OF SOLITUDE
2. Cynthia Ozick THE PAGAN RABBI AND OTHER STORIES
3. Italo Calvino INVISIBLE CITIES
4. Jaimy Gordon SHAMP OF THE CITY-SOLO
5. Brian Moore THE GREAT VICTORIA COLLECTION
6. Harry Matthews THE SINKING OF THE ODRADEK STADIUM AND OTHER NOVELS
7. Joan Samson THE AUCTIONEER
8. Michael Moorcock DANCERS AT THE END OF TIME
9. Joanna Russ ALYX
10. Sylvia Townsend Warner THE KINGDOMS OF ELFIN
11. Richard Lortz LOVERS LIVING, LOVERS DEAD
12. Stuart Dybek CHILDHOOD AND OTHER NEIGHBORHOOD
13. John Crowley LITTLE, BIG

13 NEGLECTED MASTERPIECES OF THE MACABRE (R.S. Hadji)
1. A.C. Benson BASIL NETHERBY
2. John Blackburn BURY HIM DARKLY
3. Leonard Cline DARK CHAMBER
4. Hanns Heinz Ewers THE SORCERER'S APPRENTICE
5. Jane Gaskell THE SHINY NARROW GRIN
6. Anne Herbert CHILDREN OF THE BLACK SABBATH
7. Gordon Honeycombe NEITHER THE SEA NOR THE SAND
8. Violet Hunt TALES OF THE UNEASY
9. Vincent O'Sullivan A BOOK OF BARGAINS
10. Adrian Ross (Arthur Ropes) THE HOLE OF THE PIT
11. Eleanor Scott RANDALL'S  ROUND
12. Claude Seignolle THE ACURSED
13. E. H. Visiak MEDUSA

THE 13 MOST TERRIFYING HORROR STORIES (R.S. Hadji)
1. Gertrude Atherton "The Striding Place"
2. E.F. Benson "Negotiam Perambulans"
3. Algernon Blackwood "The Willows"
4. Ray Bradbury "the Jar"
5. Ramsey Campbell "In the Bag"
6. F. Marion Crawford "The Upper Berth"
7. Lafcadio Hearn "Mujina"
8. Robert E. Howard "Pigeons from Hell"
9. M.R. James "The Ash-Tree"
10. David Keller "The Thing in the Cellar"
11. Henry Kuttner "The Graveyard Rats"
12. H.P. Lovecraft "The Haunter of the Dark"
13. H. Russell Wakefield "The Frontier Guards"

THE 13 MOST TERRIFYING HORROR STORIES (T.E. D. Klein)
1. M.R. James "Casting the Runes" (also "Count Magnus," "The Ash-Tree,"
"The Treasure of Abbott Thomas")
2. Arthur Machen "The Novel of the Black Seal" (also "The White
People," "Out of the Picture")
3. Algernon Blackwood "The Willows"
4. H.P. Lovecraft "The Dunwich Horror" (also "The Call of Cthulhu")
5. John Collier "Bird of Prey"
6. John W. Campbell "Who Goes There?'
7. Anthony Boucher "They Bite"
8. Raymond F. Jones "Stay Off the Moon!"
9. George Bamber "Ottmar Balleau X 2"
10. Richard Matheson "First Anniversary" (also "Prey")
11. Michael Shea "The Autopsy"
12. Ramsey Campbell "The Trick" (also "Cold Print," "The Interloper,"
"The Endo fo a Summer's Day"
13. Jack London "To Build a Fire"
*Honorable Mentions*
Charles Beaumont "Fritschen"
Donald A. Wollheim "Mimic"
Fritz Leiber "A Bit of the Dark World"
Sarban RINGSTONES
William Hope Hodgson THE HOUSE ON THE BORDERLAND

Jim
--
jimro...@my-deja.SPAMENOSPAM.com


Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Are They THAT Bad??? John Pelan 11/16/00 12:00 AM
Thanks to Jim for providing this list from TZ:

13 WORST STINKERS OF THE WEIRD (R.S. Hadji)


1. Marie Corelli THE SORROWS OF SATAN

I didn't think this was Corelli's best, but I certainly wouldn't single
this novel out to head a list of "worst of all-time". I let Jessica
tackle this one...

2. M.P. Dare UNHOLY RELICS

Am I the only one that actually LIKES M.P. Dare? While some of his
imagery is amusing rather than frightening, I find him no better or
worse than several other Jamesians.

3. Otto Fredrick COUNT DRACULA'S CANADIAN AFFAIR
4. Vern Hassan THE GRIP OF FEAR
5. Ivar Jorgenson REST IN AGONY
6. Mallory T. Knight DRACUTWIG

Damn, I've missed these...

7. Brian Lumley THE TRANSITION OF TITUS CROWE

Silly and pulpy, I rather enjoyed it when it came out, (I was fourteen
or fifteen at the time), somehow I don't think it hold up to a
rereading now...

8. Arabella Randolphe THE VAMPIRE TAPES

Missed this too...

9. John Saul SUFFER THE CHILDREN

Has this guy ever written a good book? I've started two or three Saul
novels and come to the conclusion that life's just too damn short...

10. John Shirley CELLARS

Wait a minute... I'd be more inclined to put this on a list of "best
horror of the eighties" than on a list of bad books. There are some
flaws, but even in this early novel, Shirley was awfully good. Grim and
violent, this could be called "splatterpunk" long before the term was a
marketing device.

11. Guy n. Smith THE SUCKING PIT

Ha-ha, the sad thing is that this is one of Smith's BETTER novels...

12. Bram Stoker THE LAIR OF THE WHITE WORM

Certainly not one of Stoker's best, but I can think of a hundred novels
that are much worse.

13. Violet Van Der Elst THE VAMPIRE BARONESS

Hmm, another one that I've got to find to satisfy my morbid curiousity.


--
John Pelan

www.darksidepress.com


Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Karl E. Wagner's Best/Worst Lists rba...@hotmail.com 11/16/00 12:00 AM
In article <8uutsl$re1$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,

  John Brower <jwbr...@my-deja.com> wrote:
> In article <3A12E59E...@library.syr.edu>,
>   Randy Money <rbm...@library.syr.edu> wrote:
>
> > Dang.  Didn't work for me.
>
> Me either.
>
> So I'm picturing Evelyn with a member of the Nairobi Trio.
>
> John B.


In an eerie fashion, that is actually more appropriate.

http://www.zulu.co.nz/gallery/sweetwaters.htm

rbadac, the one with the guitar


Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Karl E. Wagner's Best/Worst Lists rba...@hotmail.com 11/16/00 12:00 AM
In article <spammers-die-paghat-1511001130370001@soggy70.drizzle.com>,

  spammers-...@my-deja.com (paghat) wrote:
> > Ahhh, yes, we used to be quite the pair. Here's a snapshot of me and
> > Evelyn from happier days...
> >
> > http://www1.50megs.com/finvarra/pics/Ankers02.jpg?50m=image
>
> I got this message when I tried to view that:
> "We don't allow hotlinking to files on our server from other servers.
> 50Megs.com is to be used as a website service and not a place to store
> files on."
> But when I hit reload they let me see it anyway.
> You sure were handsome back in those days.
> -paggers


Hee hee. I was, wasn't I?

First time I ever saw one of those "no, you can't easily access our
site" notices. Frankly, I don't see the difference. I suppose one could
simply type the addy in manually, if one were that curious about a
silly gag of mine!

rbadac, with a pencilled-in mustache

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Karl E. Wagner's Best/Worst Lists John Brower 11/16/00 12:00 AM
In article <8v17m6$ndl$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,

  rba...@hotmail.com wrote:
> In article <8uutsl$re1$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,
>   John Brower <jwbr...@my-deja.com> wrote:
> > In article <3A12E59E...@library.syr.edu>,
> >   Randy Money <rbm...@library.syr.edu> wrote:
> >
> > > Dang.  Didn't work for me.
> >
> > Me either.
> >
> > So I'm picturing Evelyn with a member of the Nairobi Trio.
> >
> > John B.
>
> In an eerie fashion, that is actually more appropriate.
>
> http://www.zulu.co.nz/gallery/sweetwaters.htm
>
> rbadac, the one with the guitar

What happened to the percussionist?

John B.

~-------------------------------------------------------------~

"You'll never make it. Give up now. Quit squirming. You idiot. Who
cares? Surrender. It won't work. Aha! Told you so."   -- Matt Groening,
LIFE IN HELL (1982)


Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Are They THAT Bad??? Otzchiim 11/16/00 12:00 AM
John Pelan laments:

>5. Ivar Jorgenson REST IN AGONY
>6. Mallory T. Knight DRACUTWIG
>
>Damn, I've missed these...

    The Jorgensen (also issued under the author's right name of Paul W.
Fairman) is by no means great, but not remarkably bad.  Certainly he did worse
science fiction.
    And DRACUTWIG...   Well, it is perfectly obvious from the moment that you
pick it up what you have in your hands (a swinging London vampire teenybopper)
so it seems pointless to complain.   I actually liked it in a perverse way.  On
the other hand, I got it to review, so I didn't pay for it.
                  Mark Owings

Are They THAT Bad??? John Pelan 11/16/00 12:00 AM
In article <20001116152312.06042.00000116@ng-ck1.aol.com>,
  otzc...@aol.com (Otzchiim) wrote:
> John Pelan laments:
>
> >5. Ivar Jorgenson REST IN AGONY
> >6. Mallory T. Knight DRACUTWIG
> >
> >Damn, I've missed these...
>
>     The Jorgensen (also issued under the author's right name of Paul
W. Fairman) is by no means great, but not remarkably bad.  Certainly he
did worse science fiction.
>     And DRACUTWIG...   Well, it is perfectly obvious from the moment
that you pick it up what you have in your hands (a swinging London
vampire teenybopper) so it seems pointless to complain.   I actually
liked it in a perverse way.  On the other hand, I got it to review, so
I didn't pay for it.
>                   Mark Owings
>
Well, certainly sounds no worse than Lestat or Vampire Junction...

--
John Pelan

www.darksidepress.com


Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Karl E. Wagner's Best/Worst Lists blackf...@my-deja.com 11/16/00 12:00 AM


Jim, Thanks!!! That more than answered my orignal question. These lists
are quite interesting. We appreciate you time and effort.


-blackfrancis


In article <8v0mt7$887$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,
  jimrockhill <jimro...@my-deja.com> wrote:
> In article <8uveln$a31$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,
>   John Pelan <jpe...@cnw.com> wrote:
> > In article <8uv5vr$2o4$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,
> >   jimrockhill <jimro...@my-deja.com> wrote:
> >
> > Jim:
> >
> > To follow the letter of "fair use" as I understand it, it's
perfectly
> > permissible to reproduce the lists with attribution sans commentary.


> >
> > --
> > John Pelan
> >
> > www.darksidepress.com
> >
> > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > Before you buy.
> >
> Thanks, John. That seems reasonable.
>
> O.K. Here are the non-Wagner lists, minus the individual authors'
> commentary, from the two-part article "The Five Foot Fantasy Book-
> Shelf" in TWILIGHT ZONE MAGAZINE, June and August 1983:
>
> 13 SUPREME MASTERS OF WEIRD FICTION (R.S Hadji)
> 1. Algernon Blackwood
> 2. Ray Bradbury
> 3. Walter de la Mare
> 4. Hanns Heinz Ewers
> 5. E.T.A. Hoffmann
> 6. M.R. James
> 7. Franz Kafka
> 8. J. Sheridan LeFanu
> 9. H.P. Lovecraft
> 10. Arthur Machen
> 11. Edgar Allan Poe
> 12. Jean Ray
> 13. Claude Seignolle
>
> 13 ALL-TIME CLASSICS OF FANTASY (Thomas M. Disch)
> 1. William Godwin CALEB GODWIN, OR THINGS AS THEY ARE
> 2. Matthew Gregory Lewis THE MONK
> 3. Baron de la Motte Fouque UNDINE
> 4. Charles Maturin MELMOTH THE WANDERER
> 5. James Hogg CONFESSIONS OF A JUSTIFIED SINNER
> 6. Charlotte Perkins Gilman "The Yellow Wallpaper"
> 7. Henry James THE TURN OF THE SCREW
> 8. Oliver Onions "The Beckoning Fair one"
> 9. David Garnett "Lady into Fox"
> 10. Guy Endore THE WEREWOLF OF PARIS
> 11. Fritz Leiber CONJURE WIFE
> 12. Sarban (John W. Wall) THE SOUND OF HIS HORN
> 13. Donald Barthelme SNOW WHITE
>
> 13 WORST STINKERS OF THE WEIRD (R.S. Hadji)
> 1. Marie Corelli THE SORROWS OF
> 2. M.P. Dare UNHOLY RELICS
> 3. Otto Fredrick COUNT DRACULA'S CANADIAN AFFAIR
> 4. Vern Hassan THE GRIP OF FEAR

> 5. Ivar Jorgenson REST IN AGONY
> 6. Mallory T. Knight DRACUTWIG
> 7. Brian Lumley THE TRANSITION OF TITUS CROWE
> 8. Arabella Randolphe THE VAMPIRE TAPES
> 9. John Saul SUFFER THE CHILDREN
> 10. John Shirley CELLARS
> 11. Guy n. Smith THE SUCKING PIT
> 12. Bram Stoker THE LAIR OF THE WHITE WORN
> 13. Violet Van Der Elst THE VAMPIRE BARONESS
>
> 13 GREAT WORKS OF FANTASY FROM THE LAST 13 YEARS (Thomas M. Disch)
> 1. Gabriel Garcia Marquez ONE HUNDRED YEARS OF SOLITUDE
> 2. Cynthia Ozick THE       RABBI AND OTHER STORIES
> 3. Italo Calvino INVISIBLE CITIES
> 4. Jaimy Gordon SHAMP OF THE CITY-SOLO
> 5. Brian Moore THE GREAT VICTORIA COLLECTION
> 6. Harry Matthews THE SINKING OF THE ODRADEK STADIUM AND OTHER NOVELS
> 7. Joan Samson THE AUCTIONEER
> 8. Michael Moorcock DANCERS AT THE END OF TIME
> 9. Joanna Russ ALYX
> 10. Sylvia Townsend Warner THE KINGDOMS OF ELFIN
> 11. Richard Lortz LOVERS LIVING, LOVERS
> 12. Stuart Dybek CHILDHOOD AND OTHER NEIGHBORHOOD
> 13. John Crowley LITTLE, BIG
>
> 13 NEGLECTED MASTERPIECES OF THE MACABRE (R.S. Hadji)
> 1. A.C. Benson BASIL NETHERBY
> 2. John Blackburn BURY HIM DARKLY
> 3. Leonard Cline DARK CHAMBER
> 4. Hanns Heinz Ewers THE SORCERER'S APPRENTICE
> 5. Jane Gaskell THE SHINY NARROW GRIN
> 6. Anne Herbert CHILDREN OF THE BLACK SABBATH
> 7. Gordon Honeycombe NEITHER THE SEA NOR THE SAND
> 8. Violet Hunt TALES OF THE UNEASY
> 9. Vincent O'Sullivan A BOOK OF BARGAINS
> 10. Adrian Ross (Arthur Ropes) THE HOLE OF THE PIT
> 11. Eleanor Scott RANDALL'S  ROUND
> 12. Claude Seignolle THE ACURSED
> 13. E. H. Visiak MEDUSA
>
> THE 13 MOST TERRIFYING HORROR STORIES (R.S. Hadji)
> 1. Gertrude Atherton "The Striding Place"
> 2. E.F. Benson "Negotiam Perambulans"
> 3. Algernon Blackwood "The Willows"
> 4. Ray Bradbury "the Jar"
> 5. Ramsey Campbell "In the Bag"
> 6. F. Marion Crawford "The Upper Berth"
> 7. Lafcadio Hearn "Mujina"
> 8. Robert E. Howard "Pigeons from Hell"
> 9. M.R. James "The Ash-Tree"
> 10. David Keller "The Thing in the Cellar"
> 11. Henry Kuttner "The Graveyard Rats"
> 12. H.P. Lovecraft "The Haunter of the Dark"
> 13. H. Russell Wakefield "The Frontier Guards"
>
> THE 13 MOST TERRIFYING HORROR STORIES (T.E. D. Klein)
> 1. M.R. James "Casting the Runes" (also "Count Magnus," "The Ash-
Tree,"
> "The Treasure of Abbott Thomas")
> 2. Arthur Machen "The Novel of the Black Seal" (also "The White
> People," "Out of the Picture")
> 3. Algernon Blackwood "The Willows"
> 4. H.P. Lovecraft "The Dunwich Horror" (also "The Call of Cthulhu")
> 5. John Collier "Bird of Prey"
> 6. John W. Campbell "Who Goes There?'
> 7. Anthony Boucher "They Bite"
> 8. Raymond F. Jones "Stay Off the Moon!"
> 9. George Bamber "Ottmar Balleau X 2"
> 10. Richard Matheson "First Anniversary" (also "Prey")
> 11. Michael Shea "The Autopsy"
> 12. Ramsey Campbell "The Trick" (also "Cold Print," "The Interloper,"
> "The Endo fo a Summer's Day"
> 13. Jack London "To Build a Fire"
> *Honorable Mentions*
> Charles Beaumont "Fritschen"
> Donald A. Wollheim "Mimic"
> Fritz Leiber "A Bit of the Dark World"
> Sarban RINGSTONES
> William Hope Hodgson THE HOUSE ON THE BORDERLAND
>
> Jim
> --
> jimro...@my-deja.SPAMENOSPAM.com

>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.
>


Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Karl E. Wagner's Best/Worst Lists jimrockhill 11/17/00 12:00 AM
In article <8v1s4o$abc$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,You are welcome. Glad I could help.
Karl E. Wagner's Best/Worst Lists rba...@hotmail.com 11/17/00 12:00 AM
In article <8v1d3f$sdo$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,
  John Brower <jwbr...@my-deja.com> wrote:

> > In an eerie fashion, that is actually more appropriate.
> >
> > http://www.zulu.co.nz/gallery/sweetwaters.htm
> >
> > rbadac, the one with the guitar
>
> What happened to the percussionist?
>
> John B.

I don't know! He must not have been photogenic. I'm still trying to
figure out why four guys is a "trio" and you wanna add a *fifth*?

rbadac


Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

More topics »