Announce new Alt-F packages feed

Showing 1-20 of 20 messages
Announce new Alt-F packages feed João Cardoso 8/10/12 4:35 AM
Alt-F packages are now available from a new site, sourceforge.net

-If you already have Alt-F packages installed, then in the "Alt-F Package Manager" web page, section "Configure Feeds", the current package feeds should be replaced with

and

and the "ChangeFeed" button hit. Afterwards, settings should be saved.
If any problem arises you can revert to the default feeds by hitting the "DefaultFeed" button.

-If you have not yet installed any Alt-F package, you can't use the above method, please read this followup which gives instructions on how to proceed.

After the RC3 release this will be the only and default feed, so I ask users to start using it now and report any problem.

I wish to thank Dropbox for "hosting" Alt-F packages, but Dropbox is not intended to be a content-distributable site.
Sourceforge.net provides download statistics, which will help me focus on the more popular packages.

By the way, if you liked Dropbox and you install it in your computer using this  link I will earn 500MB of storage on my free Dropbox account.

Thanks,
Re: Announce new Alt-F packages feed Vishnu Rao 8/12/12 11:20 AM
So is the project moving to sourceforge?

On Friday, August 10, 2012 4:35:04 AM UTC-7, Joao Cardoso wrote:
Alt-F packages are now available from a new site, sourceforge.net

In the "Alt-F Package Manager" web page, section "Configure Feeds", the current package feeds should be replaced with

and

and the "ChangeFeed" button hit. Afterwards, settings should be saved.
If any problem arises you can revert to the default feeds by hitting the "DefaultFeed" button.

After the RC3 release this will be the only and default feed, so I ask users to start using it now and report any problem.

I wish to thank Dropbox for "hosting" Alt-F packages, but Dropbox is not intended to be a content-distributable site.
Sourceforge.net provides download statistics, which will help me focus on the more popular packages.

By the way, if you like Dropbox and you install it in your computer using this  link I will earn 500MB of storage on my free Dropbox account.

Thanks,
Re: Announce new Alt-F packages feed João Cardoso 8/15/12 8:04 AM

On Sunday, August 12, 2012 7:20:44 PM UTC+1, Vishnu Rao wrote:
So is the project moving to sourceforge?

No, only the packages download site (and sourceforge will also be a secondary SVN repository)
I considered moving to sourceforge, as they provide a more integrated environment, but moving this forum/ml is problematic.
unk...@googlegroups.com 8/25/12 9:51 AM <This message has been deleted.>
Re: Announce new Alt-F packages feed JoKo 8/26/12 9:20 AM
Hello,

I have trouble updating the feeds.

I have replaced the feeds and pressed the "ChangeFeed" button. After a while, I receive the following message:

Downloading http://sourceforge.net/projects/alt-f/files/pkgs/stable/Packages
Downloading http://sourceforge.net/projects/alt-f/files/pkgs/unstable/Packages
An error ocurred, return value: 2.
Collected errors:
ipkg_download: ERROR: Command failed with return value 4: `wget --passive-ftp    -q -P /tmp/ipkg-gCscXZ http://sourceforge.net/projects/alt-f/files/pkgs/stable/Packages'
ipkg_download: ERROR: Command failed with return value 4: `wget --passive-ftp    -q -P /tmp/ipkg-gCscXZ http://sourceforge.net/projects/alt-f/files/pkgs/unstable/Packages'

Maybe the URLs are not valid or the site is still not ready? I am afraid that the Dropbox repository is also not working any longer.

Regards,

JoKo

Τη Παρασκευή, 10 Αυγούστου 2012 2:35:04 μ.μ. UTC+3, ο χρήστης Joao Cardoso έγραψε:
[...]

Re: [Alt-F] Re: Announce new Alt-F packages feed Norbert Girardi 8/26/12 12:16 PM
Am 26.08.2012 18:20, schrieb JoKo:
> wget --passive-ftp    -q -P /tmp/ipkg-gCscXZ
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/alt-f/files/pkgs/stable/Packages

It is working again. This was most probably a temporary laps.

-NoGi
Re: Announce new Alt-F packages feed Stealth 9/18/12 11:54 AM
Same problem today

wnloading http://sourceforge.net/projects/alt-f/files/pkgs/stable/Packages
Downloading http://sourceforge.net/projects/alt-f/files/pkgs/unstable/Packages
An error ocurred, return value: 2.
Collected errors:
ipkg_download: ERROR: Command failed with return value 4: `wget --passive-ftp    -q -P /tmp/ipkg-Il4fl3 http://sourceforge.net/projects/alt-f/files/pkgs/stable/Packages'
ipkg_download: ERROR: Command failed with return value 4: `wget --passive-ftp    -q -P /tmp/ipkg-Il4fl3 http://sourceforge.net/projects/alt-f/files/pkgs/unstable/Packages'
Re: Announce new Alt-F packages feed João Cardoso 9/18/12 2:09 PM

On Tuesday, September 18, 2012 7:54:11 PM UTC+1, Stealth wrote:
Same problem today

Sourceforge is going to be the main (and only) Alt-F package feed in a short while.
It's free, as in beer, so you get what you pay for :-o

For how long does the problem lasts? minutes? hours? Have you tried to use a mirror near you?
Re: Announce new Alt-F packages feed Stealth 9/19/12 12:45 AM
I tried two or three times in 1 hour without success, So I thought there is something broken

Yes it's not a problem for me, I can't wait, I will try tonight I'm not at home now
Re: Announce new Alt-F packages feed Stealth 9/22/12 10:56 AM

Le mercredi 19 septembre 2012 09:45:13 UTC+2, Stealth a écrit :
I tried two or three times in 1 hour without success, So I thought there is something broken

Yes it's not a problem for me, I can't wait, I will try tonight I'm not at home now

Sorry, I forgot, it's good now
Re: Announce new Alt-F packages feed João Cardoso 9/25/12 8:48 AM
Sourceforge has several mirrors available worldwide, see http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/sourceforge/wiki/Mirrors

The url I published in the first post should resolve to the nearest mirror available.

If however you wish to use by default a specific mirror, you can specify it directly, just use/replace the "short name" that you see in the mirror list above when filling-in the Feed in the "Alt-F Package Manager" web page:

Eg, if you wish to use "freefr" (Paris, France), specify http://freefr.dl.sourceforge.net/project/alt-f/pkgs/unstable as the Feed and hit the ChangeFeed button.
if you want ot use "switch" (Zurich, Switzerland), then use http://switch.dl.sourceforge.net/project/alt-f/pkgs/unstable

This technique has the disadvantage that the mirror you chose might be offline, or even not mirroring sourceforge anymore. I used to use "kent", that is not available anymore.
Thanks
Re: Announce new Alt-F packages feed João Cardoso 10/24/12 8:44 AM
The default package feed is now deactivated.
Please use the new package feed following the instructions on this topic first post.

Thanks to Dropbox for hosting Alt-F flawlessly for so long.

João
Re: Announce new Alt-F packages feed Erregend 10/24/12 10:07 AM
How do I get the new feeds into a system without ANY Alt-F packages installed?

On Friday, August 10, 2012 7:35:04 AM UTC-4, Joao Cardoso wrote:
[...]

Re: Announce new Alt-F packages feed Erregend 10/24/12 10:26 AM
Figured it out.... edit /etc/ipkg.conf one time
Re: Announce new Alt-F packages feed João Cardoso 10/24/12 11:34 AM

On Wednesday, October 24, 2012 1:07:40 PM UTC-4, Erregend wrote:
How do I get the new feeds into a system without ANY Alt-F packages installed

Good observation, I miss that small "detail" :-(

New Alt-F users, or users that don't have any Alt-F package installed, should download the attached ipkg-update.sh file  to the box, ssh or telnet it as the user 'root' using the same password as for the web gui, and execute the ipkg-update.sh on the command line using:

sh /path/to/ipkg-update.sh

or, alternatively, edit /etc/ipkg.conf with a unix-compatible editor and replace its contents with:

src Alt-F-stable http://sourceforge.net/projects/alt-f/files/pkgs/stable
src
Alt-F-unstable http://sourceforge.net/projects/alt-f/files/pkgs/unstable
dest
/Alt-F /Alt-F

As a matter of fact, all users should do this, even those that already have used the "ChangeFeed" button in the Alt-F Package Manager, because if they latter hit the "DefaultFeed" button the old feed will resurrect.

Thanks!
Re: Announce new Alt-F packages feed Rob MacDonald 11/6/12 4:18 AM
I'm a new user.  I don't have a change feed button.  I don't have any packages installed because the installer still points to dropbox.  I can't edit /etc/ipkg.conf because once I telnet into the NASbox, basically no commands work, I can view directories or move within them, doesn't matter where I place the script it's not found, I don't even have a file structure to find or edit /etc/ipkg.conf .  What the heck am I supposed to be doing?
Re: Announce new Alt-F packages feed Rob MacDonald 11/6/12 4:23 AM

On Tuesday, November 6, 2012 8:18:45 AM UTC-4, Rob MacDonald wrote:
I'm a new user.  I don't have a change feed button.  I don't have any packages installed because the installer still points to dropbox.  I can't edit /etc/ipkg.conf because once I telnet into the NASbox, basically no commands work, I can view directories or move within them, doesn't matter where I place the script it's not found, I don't even have a file structure to find or edit /etc/ipkg.conf .  What the heck am I supposed to be doing?

ETA:

While i couldn't get the script working, using VI  /etc/ipkg.conf has found the conf file, hopefully anyone dumb enough to get stuck here like I did finds help with this.
Re: Announce new Alt-F packages feed João Cardoso 11/6/12 1:53 PM

On Tuesday, November 6, 2012 12:18:45 PM UTC, Rob MacDonald wrote:
I'm a new user.  I don't have a change feed button.  I don't have any packages installed because the installer still points to dropbox.  I can't edit /etc/ipkg.conf because once I telnet into the NASbox, basically no commands work,

example?

I can view directories or move within them, doesn't matter where I place the script

how did you transfer it? ftp? ssh? cifs/smb?

it's not found,

You don't know where you put it.

I don't even have a file structure

ena!

to find or edit /etc/ipkg.conf .  What the heck am I supposed to be doing?

Show the commands that fail, verbatim, i.e., copy/paste the type commands and its output.

Assumptions, as you say NOTHING:

Most likely you are using windows, using samba/smb/cifs.
Assuming that you used the default public share "Public (Read Write)" to transfer the file to the box, where is it in the box?
You could go to Services->Network->smb, and see the path that the share is referring to, in my case, it is /mnt/md0/Public/RW:

and there it is:

~ # ls /mnt/md0/Public/RW/ipkg-update.sh
/mnt/md0/Public/RW/ipkg-update.sh
~ # sh /mnt/md0/Public/RW/ipkg-update.sh
~ # cat /etc/ipkg.conf
dest /Alt-F /Alt-F

works as described!

Re: Announce new Alt-F packages feed strawwmann 11/7/12 7:52 PM
Thanks that's exactly what I needed.
Packages now install properly (and miniDLNA installed and configured easily after that).
unk...@googlegroups.com 1/4/13 5:59 AM <This message has been deleted.>