serial connection dns-323 B1

Showing 1-7 of 7 messages
serial connection dns-323 B1 Keon91 9/18/12 1:34 PM

I tried to make a serial connection with my dns-323 B1 today, but I didn't succeed.

What I did:
- Used a Nokia Ca-42 cable and solderd the right pins to the board.
installed the pl2303 drivers on windows 7 64bit.

used putty to make the serial connection : 115200 8N1

when I turn the nas on nothing happends (black screen putty)

So I thought maybe its the cable.

So I connected a piece of wire between rx and tx.
hit some keys and the characters showed up on the screen, so I think that isn't the problem.

Used my multimeter to measure some things. ground was connected to another place on the board so that was good and I measured resistance between ground and tx, ground and rx.

Does anyone know what the problem could be?
Re: serial connection dns-323 B1 João Cardoso 9/18/12 1:51 PM


On Tuesday, September 18, 2012 9:34:22 PM UTC+1, Keon91 wrote:

I tried to make a serial connection with my dns-323 B1 today, but I didn't succeed.

What I did:
- Used a Nokia Ca-42 cable and solderd the right pins to the board.

> In general you only need to connect Pins: 2, 3, and 4

I think that it depends on the Nokia cable version, but I had to power the Nokia adapter from the 323.
I even had to power it directly from the 323 circuit board power lines (live lines when the unity is off), in order to get the power-up message, as it looks like that the 3.3V in the header is only powered too late in the power-up cycle. I have a revB1 hard board.

 
installed the pl2303 drivers on windows 7 64bit.

used putty to make the serial connection : 115200 8N1

when I turn the nas on nothing happends (black screen putty)

So I thought maybe its the cable.

So I connected a piece of wire between rx and tx.
hit some keys and the characters showed up on the screen, so I think that isn't the problem.

Used my multimeter to measure some things. ground was connected to another place on the board so that was good and I measured resistance between ground and tx, ground and rx.

Does anyone know what the problem could be?
Re: serial connection dns-323 B1 Keon91 9/19/12 7:39 AM
v3.3 wasn't needed.
I had accidentally switched my rx and tx wire.
i've got a working serial connection now!

I'm planning on doing the ram upgrade described up here:

I think this wouldn't infuence alt-f?
what I mean is: I don't need to make changes to alt-f?
The only changes I need to make is to the uboot.

Can you confirm this?

Op dinsdag 18 september 2012 22:51:22 UTC+2 schreef Joao Cardoso het volgende:
Re: serial connection dns-323 B1 João Cardoso 9/20/12 8:03 AM


On Wednesday, September 19, 2012 3:39:41 PM UTC+1, Keon91 wrote:
v3.3 wasn't needed.
I had accidentally switched my rx and tx wire.
i've got a working serial connection now!

I'm planning on doing the ram upgrade described up here:


So you are going to toast your 323 :-! literally! on your oven?

I saw a couple of youtube videos about the procedure, when the topic was first posted, and it is hard to believe that other components don't suffer with the (oven) procedure. Perhaps this is a topic for "the MythBusters to research?"

If it was me, I would test the procedure first with an old, not used (but working!) PCI card, unsoldering then re-soldering a large SM device; if after the procedure the board still works, I would dare doing the same to the 323. But that is me :-)
 
I think this wouldn't infuence alt-f?
what I mean is: I don't need to make changes to alt-f?

I don't think so.
The worse it could happen is for Alt-F to use only 64MB of memory, but then you would report the issue and I would fix it :-)
U-Boot, for arm devices, sets the RAM start address (and amount?) on a CPU register, then starts the kernel, which reads it.
Re: serial connection dns-323 B1 Keon91 9/21/12 10:27 AM

there is no need to use an oven.
the ram has a tsopII66 package just a good tempature controlled soldering iron and a steady hand.
here are some techniques for soldering surfacemount : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uiroWBkdFY

I already made an backup from the uboot using: "dd if=/dev/mtdblock4 of=uboot.bin"
and I found the  “01 00 ff 03” value at the right ofset:  0x14C8 and  "10 60 A0 E3" at the ofset of:  0xE30.

joering discribes that you need to patch these values:  
0x14C8 (decimal 5323)  3 -> 7
0xE30 (decimal 3632) 1 -> 2 

What I understand from this is that the values need to be changed to :  
“01 00 ff 07” at  0x14CB
"20 60 A0 E3" at  0xE30 

maybe you can confirm if I'm right here?

I will take some photo's from my work soldering work but I'm still waiting for the ddr sodimm 2700 module to arrive from hongkong.

Op donderdag 20 september 2012 17:03:20 UTC+2 schreef Joao Cardoso het volgende:
Re: serial connection dns-323 B1 3p141592654 9/21/12 10:47 AM
I do a lot of desoldering and hand assembly of SMD parts.  For desoldering, the Hakko 808 Desoldering Gun is an amazing tool. For hand soldering of SMD, the most important thing besides a fine tip soldering iron is a microscope, a must for lead pitch 0.5mm or smaller.
Re: [Alt-F] Re: serial connection dns-323 B1 Joao Cardoso 9/21/12 5:18 PM

I'm afraid that I can't help you any further in this subject.

You should open a new topic or try posting in the original forum.

Luck, and keep us informed.

On Sep 21, 2012 6:27 PM, "Keon91" <kpsc...@gmail.com> wrote:


there is no need to use an oven.
the ram has a tsopII66 package just a good tempature controlled soldering iron and a steady hand.
here are some techniques for soldering surfacemount : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uiroWBkdFY

I already made an backup from the uboot using: "dd if=/dev/mtdblock4 of=uboot.bin"
and I found the  “01 00 ff 03” value at the right ofset:  0x14C8 and  "10 60 A0 E3" at the ofset of:  0xE30.

joering discribes that you need to patch these values:  
0x14C8 (decimal 5323)  3 -> 7
0xE30 (decimal 3632) 1 -> 2 

What I understand from this is that the values need to be changed to :  
“01 00 ff 07” at  0x14CB
"20 60 A0 E3" at  0xE30 

maybe you can confirm if I'm right here?

I will take some photo's from my work soldering work but I'm still waiting for the ddr sodimm 2700 module to arrive from hongkong.

Op donderdag 20 september 2012 17:03:20 UTC+2 schreef Joao Cardoso het volgende:

> > > > On Wednesday, September 19, 2012 3:39:41 PM UTC+1, Keon91 wrote: >> >> v3.3 wasn't needed. ...

-- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Alt-F" group. To po...

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/alt-f/-/vo2OgVfxMlsJ.