Polipo http proxy server

Showing 1-10 of 10 messages
Polipo http proxy server 3p141592654 8/22/12 9:48 PM
I am wondering if the polipo http proxy server (or something similar 3proxy, tinyproxy, etc.)  could be added to the alt-f available packages. Personal proxies can be very useful for getting around pesky corporate firewalls!
Re: [Alt-F] Polipo http proxy server zero13th 8/24/12 5:46 AM
why not use ssh tunnel as socks proxy?

On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 11:48 AM, 3p141592654 <jonbh...@ymail.com> wrote:
I am wondering if the polipo http proxy server (or something similar 3proxy, tinyproxy, etc.)  could be added to the alt-f available packages. Personal proxies can be very useful for getting around pesky corporate firewalls!

ZerO13th
Re: Polipo http proxy server 3p141592654 8/24/12 8:18 AM

I am doing that, using putty to create a tunnel to an unused port.  Besides the small hassle of setting up putty first, I would like a solution that does not require configuring a port on the client as that is not always possible to do when the client is someone else's machine.
Re: Polipo http proxy server 3p141592654 9/5/12 10:15 AM
So not much interest it seems, but I will end this with a request for the Polipo package for Alt-F.
Re: Polipo http proxy server João Cardoso 9/6/12 12:01 PM

On Wednesday, September 5, 2012 6:15:44 PM UTC+1, 3p141592654 wrote:
So not much interest it seems, but I will end this with a request for the Polipo package for Alt-F.

I didn't had the time, yet. But filling an issue-request don't let it dies (or forget)

I'm afraid of the web caching facilities, as it will consume memory, which is scarce on the box. I looked at the documentation and it seems that it can be disabled -- this is a *must*. Perhaps a non-caching proxy-only app?
Re: Polipo http proxy server 3p141592654 9/6/12 4:29 PM

No caching would be fine based on my experience with SSH tunneling proxy .  Performance is quite responsive through the 323 box. I'll post to the issues board so it is not forgotten.
Re: Polipo http proxy server 3p141592654 9/18/12 10:48 AM

Thanks so much for adding this to the alt-f packages.  I've installed it, but need to reconfigure my router before I can test.
Re: Polipo http proxy server João Cardoso 9/18/12 1:55 PM

On Tuesday, September 18, 2012 6:48:22 PM UTC+1, 3p141592654 wrote:

Thanks so much for adding this to the alt-f packages.  I've installed it, but need to reconfigure my router before I can test.

It worked "out of the package" for me. I only had to configure the browser http proxy.

Beware of memory "consumption", as after a couple of minutes using it it was using 12MB of memory~(use 'top' and watch the VSz column). Then swaping starts and (samba) performance suffers:

-polipo limits its own memory usage to 1/4 the system memory, so you will find it to use about 12MB. Edit the conf file chunkHighMark to limit this.

-by default polipo stores the on-disk cache on /var/cache/polipo; as on Alt-F this is an on-memory filesystem, I changed it to /var/spool/polipo.

Re: [Alt-F] Re: Polipo http proxy server jskier 9/18/12 6:01 PM
Caching was too much for it when I used the ffp package awhile ago
(would crash after a day of medium use). Having been testing out this
new Alt-f package (with caching enabled), it's been stable. A welcome
addition to the DNS repository, +1 :)

--
Jeremy MountainJohnson
Jeremy.Moun...@gmail.com

On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 12:48 PM, 3p141592654 <jonbh...@ymail.com> wrote:

> Thanks so much for adding this to the alt-f packages.  I've installed it,
> but need to reconfigure my router before I can test.

> https://groups.google.com/d/msg/alt-f/-/k160f_P07VkJ.

Re: [Alt-F] Re: Polipo http proxy server 3p141592654 9/19/12 9:52 AM
It's working well for me too. I modified the config to limit the memory footprint to 1MB, and it seems to be still responsive.

chunkHighMark = 1048576
objectHighMark = 128

Also, when I turned on IP access control, by configuring Polipo in /etc/polipo/config to allowedClients = "127.0.0.1, 192.168.1.0/24" I got the following error in the logs:

Couldn’t parse network 127.0.0.1, 192.168.1.0

A quick search revealed the problem..... After a few tests, it seemed that Polipo’s configuration should not be encapsulated with double quotes “”.

So fixing the configuration to allowedClients = 127.0.0.1, 192.168.1.0/24 did the trick.

Actually, for my setup the biggest memory hog is fuppes.