An update on Apps accessibility in the last year

Showing 1-4 of 4 messages
An update on Apps accessibility in the last year Jeffrey Harris 9/19/12 10:05 AM
Hi folks,

Jeff, from the Google Drive team, here.

With the new school year already underway, we wanted to do a quick recap of some of the accessibility changes we've made in the past year ... so that there's an easy place to look for a list of some of the bigger changes we've been making in Apps.

Hope you find this useful and please let us know what you think about this kind of update.

Without further ado, here are some of the notable accessibility changes we've made in the past year:

DRIVE

Accessibility Features:
  • Presentation Editor relaunched with an accessible HTML “Presentation Mode” and a basic accessible editing experience
  • New style features (restyling of documents, additional charting features in spreadsheets, inserting images, etc.) launched with accessibility
  • Optical Character Recognition technology launched to allow screen readers to read text in scanned PDFs and images
  • Keyboard shortcuts are now available for navigating through tables in documents
  • Over 450 webfonts launched in documents and presentations with basic accessibility support
  • Added NVDA to the list of supported screen readers
  • “Research” pane launched with basic accessibility accessibility support
  • New keyboard shortcut for opening links Option+Enter launched
  • Docs iOS Apps launched with VoiceOver support

CALENDAR

Accessibility Features:
  • Improved “Suggested Times” to suggest time most-suitable for all participants
  • Accessibility now covered by release testing, in addition to all new features
  • New keyboard shortcuts for saving and cancelling changes on event details page. You can now use Ctrl/Cmd+S to save event and Esc to discard changes
  • Notification bar at the top of Calendar is ARIA-live so it now announces any changes made by the user
  • Custom color picker for calendar colors launched to create a better viewing experience for low-vision users
  • Event color keyboard navigation now behaves like a radio button so it only takes one TAB to skip through the options rather than having users traverse through all colors every time they encounter the control
  • Custom color-picker for calendar colors now allows users more customization
  • Calendar now doesn't hide important information when switched into high-contrast mode

Bug Fixes:
  • Previous “Settings” labels that weren’t spoken by ChromeVox are now spoken

  • “Suggested Time” window/list now opens when the link is pressed
  • Collapsed sidebar is no longer inserted into the navigation of Calendar pages to decrease confusion for users
  • “Create,” “Print” and “Back” buttons are now accessible in Internet Explorer
  • The “Add Guests” section now appears before the “Where” field when tabbing through an Event for better navigation
  • ChromeVox now changes navigation path when the recurrence rule is selected as “Daily” from the pop-up window
  • “Recurrence options” in an Event are no longer marked as “M,T,W,T,F,S,S” for better fidelity with a screen reader
  • Navigation now starts from the top of the page when repeat dialog is closed
  • Interface controls now exist without labels in repeat dialog
  • The label for the text-edit box of "Guests" is now read aloud on the “Create Event” page
  • Page focus is no longer taken from the start of the Sandbar in the “Create Event” page when a user clicks “Enter” on the “Continue Editing” button of “Discard Dialog” box
  • Screen Reader no longer announces “buttons pressed” when they’re not pressed
  • Navigating to the “Event Details” page no longer misplaces the page focus to Events that cannot be edited
  • The “Send Invitations” pop-up (that appears after clicking “Save” when adding a guest to an event) is now displayed using Chromevox
  • Fixed workflow and label controls for the “Event Reminder” control

CONTACTS

Accessibility Features:

In Contacts Manager, Version 2 (standalone):
  • Added new parameter to enable keyboard shortcuts in standalone CM2 without navigating through “Settings” dialog
  • Improved keyboard accessibility in the keyboard shortcut popup window
  • Numerous consistency, focus, navigation and voice improvements made (in the Gmail interface as well)

In all closure-based Apps:
  • “Enter” key now opens menu buttons for consistency with other buttons

MOBILE APPS

Gmail for Mobile, including iOS and offline:
  • ARIA roles added to all buttons in the App
  • ARIA labels added to all image buttons to enable screen readers to read them. This parameter is now mandatory in Gmail Mobile so all future image buttons will be accessible
  • Tab ordering added to all components with click handlers to increase usability for users who rely on the keyboard to access Gmail on an iPad or via Gmail Offline
  • Basic keyboard controls (“Up,” “Down,” “Enter,” “Spacebar”) improved and launched
  • Advanced keyboard shortcuts launched

Google Drive for Android, Version 1:
  • The entire App is navigable with a keyboard/trackpad (includes both tablets and mobile devices)
  • Switching between accounts, selecting and opening search results, reading individual rows in the Docs List, and all dialogs are accessible
  • Screen reader reads back relevant text in home dashboard and Doc List, including all controls, clickable items, file metadata, “starred” status, and extended actions
  • Support for explore-by-touch in homescreen and Docs List launched
  • Document text is read back via a screen reader
  • All toolbar actions are navigable using the keyboard and are read back
  • Text content is read back as a user navigates the page
    • “Up”/“Down” reads the line
    • Navigating “Left”/“Right” reads the character
    • “Ctrl+Left”/“Ctrl+Right” reads the word
    • “Double finger, double tap” will start reading document from that position and will also stop the document from being read back
    • Explore-by-touch reads back text below the finger
    • Tilting the phone while the finger is depressed will move the cursor position by a single character

Google Drive for Android, Version 1.1:
  • All elements of “Preview Fragment” on mobile devices are accessible via the keyboard and are read back

Google Drive for Android, Version 1.2:
  • Enhanced "Organize Support” by making all new-move related dialogs navigable via the keyboard/trackpad. New-move related dialogs are also all read back
  • Comments in native Docs Editor are read back and the user interface is navigable via the keyboard/trackpad
  • Comments can be added via the keyboard/trackpad
  • Tables in the native Docs Editor have an audible indicator that a table is present (note: contents of the table are not read back are not navigable via the keyboard/trackpad, nor can it be done via explore-by-touch)
  • Slides in Google Presentations (using native Viewer) are navigable via the keyboard/trackpad.
  • Slide-picker in the Google Presentations user interface is navigable via the keyboard/trackpad
  • The title of the slide in Google Presentations is read back when slide is loading

Google Drive for Android, Version 1.3:
  • Four-way arrow navigation enabled in native Spreadsheets Editor to move between cells
  • All content in a Spreadsheet cell is read back when selected
  • Column and row headers of selected cells in a Spreadsheet are announced
  • Explore-by-touch announces column and row headers of a Spreadsheet cell when touched
  • Explore-by-touch reads back all contents of a Spreadsheet cell
  • When explore-by-touch mode is enabled, tilt-to-move cursor is enabled

Google Drive for iOS:
  • iOS Drive App launched with all major features accessible via VoiceOver (sharing, offline, open-in, etc.)
  • All Documents are read back
  • Basic accessibility support for native Google Documents Editor for iPhones and iPads, with formatting controls navigable by VoiceOver
  • Enhanced “Organize Support” by making “Move,” “Upload,” and “Create New Document/Folder” navigable via VoiceOver
  • The basic user interface of Google Presentation’s native viewer is keyboard navigable. A user can view slides in “Accessibility View” by opening the Presentation using Safari (note: use “Open in Accessible View” feature)

Re: An update on Apps accessibility in the last year Jennison Asuncion 9/19/12 2:21 PM
Jeff,

Lots of useful info here. Any chance the content can be published on
your accessibility blog for easy reference?

Jennison

On 9/19/12, Jeff Harris <jeffh...@google.com> wrote:
> [...]
>    cell when touched
>    - Explore-by-touch reads back all contents of a Spreadsheet cell
>    - When explore-by-touch mode is enabled, tilt-to-move cursor is enabled
>

> Google Drive for iOS:
>
>    - iOS Drive App launched with all major features accessible via
>    VoiceOver (sharing, offline, open-in, etc.)
>    - All Documents are read back
>    - Basic accessibility support for native Google Documents Editor for
>    iPhones and iPads, with formatting controls navigable by VoiceOver
>    - Enhanced “Organize Support” by making “Move,” “Upload,” and “Create
>    New Document/Folder” navigable via VoiceOver
>    - The basic user interface of Google Presentation’s native viewer is
>    keyboard navigable. A user can view slides in “Accessibility View” by
>    opening the Presentation using Safari (note: use “Open in Accessible

Jennison Mark Asuncion
LinkedIn at http://www.linkedin.com/in/jennison
Follow me on Twitter http://www.twitter.com/jennison
Accessibility Camp Toronto http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeP5Kl4GDgA
"The growth and development of people is the highest calling of
leadership." - Harvey S. Firestone
Re: An update on Apps accessibility in the last year Gary Morin 9/19/12 3:26 PM
I would agree that it's good to see information on various products' accessibility all in one place - have been meaning to ask about this for sometime (I think since I first noticed that only a small minority of Google's products have VPATs).

As we know
  1. JAWS-compatibility does not equal "Section 508-Conformant," W3C-1, 2 or 3-conformant, or any other-conformant,
  2. JAWS-compatibility does not equal Accessible
  3. JAWS-compatibility means that it works with JAWS - but not necessarily other screen readers
  4. JAWS-compatibility means that it works with JAWS - but not necessarily other assistive technology
What would probably make it particularly useful is if all of Google's products were evaluated across the disability spectrum and the assistive technology spectrum.   Even if the information wasn't in the form of a "VPAT," if Google didn't want to put itself in a legal corner, some structured document listing each product's accessibility features and accessibility limitations by disability and/or by functional limitation would be far more practical than what there is now.Gary
Gary M. Morin
(301) 980-9649 Cell and Text Messaging

Re: An update on Apps accessibility in the last year burt henry 9/19/12 10:27 PM

Can't agree with you more.
Jaws is fine and great as far as it goes, but for a number of reasons I'd hope that NVDA compatible would be the first thing to work on, or along side of chromevox compatibility.
I was just pleasantly surprised with how well chromevox is working with the standard gmail view. I've not check NVDA in a couple of months, but the experience was not that good then, and it wasn't as good as it was a couple of years ago
Anyway, I understand the major changes G-aps have undergone, but this is a constantly changing industry and while I hope Google will start considering accessibility in initial designs instead of constantly playing catch up from far behind for the moment a centralized source for all accessibility updates, shortcuts, and tutorials would at least save us from having to reinvent the wheel and trying to access the inaccessible as I've so often done.
If I wasn't such a Google fan I'd have given up on most of the G-aps and products/services some time ago. Many other blind people have indeed given up, and it will take some major evangelizing on the part of ppl like myself to get some to come back and try things again.
Keep up the good work, and be assured that everything you make work well is truly appreciated.
--
B.H.
��

--