Introducing arrow key navigation in Gmail

Showing 1-16 of 16 messages
Introducing arrow key navigation in Gmail Richard John Wu 2/27/13 10:28 AM
Now, you can use the keyboard arrow keys to navigate your labels (the navigation panel on the left that includes the Inbox, Sent Mail, and Drafts links), and also to navigate the conversation threadlist (the message list panel on the right) in Gmail.

When you navigate using these keys, the browser will focus on selected items, enabling screenreaders to read out what's selected.

Previously, using the arrow keys would have caused your browser to scroll up or down the webpage.

Cheers,

Richard
Re: Introducing arrow key navigation in Gmail Scott Blanks 2/28/13 11:35 AM
Can you give a real-world example of this in action? Currently, I'm
using Jaws 14, with either Firefox 18, or IE 9. If I am using Gmail in
its standard view, and I move into the message list, what should I
hear when arrowing left/right, or up/down. At the moment, if I am
focused on the sender's name, and I arrow left or right, I hear that
name spelled out, which is the same behavior I have always
experienced. Can you provide a bit more detail of the expected output
from a screen reader?

Thanks,
Scott

Re: Introducing arrow key navigation in Gmail Mubashir Iqbal 3/1/13 1:00 AM
Is there a way to switch this off? It would have made sense if you would navigate the panels using the Left and Right arrow keys to select the focus and then could use the Up and Down keys to scroll up and down within the respective focus.

Currently in the main Gmail panel, anytime I press up or down, it simply navigates from one email to the next, which is annoying.
Re: Introducing arrow key navigation in Gmail burt henry 3/1/13 12:45 PM
What would you prefer?
Maybe I'm not following what is supposed to be happening here, but going
from one email to the next or prev is exactly what I think I want, and
would think most users would expect.
Maybe I'm completely missing a point here, so I'm asking.
Thanks.

--
B. Henry
*follow me on Twitter @BurtHenry

�?????�?????�?????�?????�?????�?????n�?????
> �
> �

Re: Introducing arrow key navigation in Gmail Mike Reiser 3/1/13 2:09 PM
Seems to work correctly gere.  You get better feedback with chromevox, though it seems to constantly say edit text when composing or replying which is quite annoying.  It also reads what you've typed multiple times as if the cursor is blinking or something.  Please fix this, otherwise I like this new developement.

On Fri, Mar 1, 2013 at 1:45 PM, Burt Henry <burt1...@gmail.com> wrote:
What would you prefer?
Maybe I'm not following what is supposed to be happening here, but going from one email to the next or prev is exactly what I think I want, and would think most users would expect.
Maybe I'm completely missing a point here, so I'm asking.
Thanks.

--
B. Henry
*follow me on Twitter @BurtHenry
 *connect on *GTalk or *AIM
(this address)
*Yahoo
burt1iband
(&I'm on *FaceBook)

ý?????ý?????ý?????ý?????ý?????ý?????ný?????

Re: Introducing arrow key navigation in Gmail yleb...@gmail.com 3/2/13 10:54 PM
I understand that a lot of people like this. I would ahve no problem with it, except that when you get to the bottom of the page, the page jumps up to the middle, so you cannot easily follow the email stream downwards. this drives me crazy.  Why not allow for the emails to just show up at the bottom of the stream smoothly one after the other. If this cannot be fixed I would much rather go back to the old way. Can you at least create a lab function to turn it off?

thank you,
Re: Introducing arrow key navigation in Gmail yleb...@gmail.com 3/2/13 10:58 PM
I also do not like the fact that one click on an email opens it instead of selecting it. If  I want to just move down the list and start scrolling from there I can no longer use the mouse, but have to use the down arrow to move around. if I know I just want to bypass a whole bunch of email or go to my second email account at the bottom of the window I cannot do it. this is also annoying. please allow us an opt out.

On Wednesday, February 27, 2013 8:28:15 PM UTC+2, Richard John Wu wrote:
Re: Introducing arrow key navigation in Gmail yleb...@gmail.com 3/3/13 1:16 AM
another thing about this new format this is exceedingly annoying:
you seemed to have messed with how the google calendar is displayed on the right. I used to be able to scroll the whole webpage downwards and then have plenty of space for the google calendar and the items below it. Now it is squeezed into a tiny space and I can't see the items below it without scrolling through it. I mean seriously, why do you guys pull this stuff?  The COMPOSE button is always there, taking up a huge amount of space and I'd prefer to just be able to move the whole screen down so there is plenty of space for the side bar with the gadgets.
do you realize that you had this same stupid arrow navigation on google search results about a year ago, and it quietly disappeared? I imagine I wasn't the only one who was so annoyed by this feature.  But again, the biggest problem vis a vis the arrow navigation is the fact that it jumps from the bottom of the screen to the middle, so you can't really follow the emails as you go down looking for one. If it scrolled smoothly would not be such a big deal (although I still don't liek the fact that I can't highlight a particular email without opening it.
please change it or give us an opt out!

On Wednesday, February 27, 2013 8:28:15 PM UTC+2, Richard John Wu wrote:
Re: Introducing arrow key navigation in Gmail Michael Scott 3/4/13 3:41 PM
Also/however/you neglected to mention: that "previously" using the arrow keys when the Preview Pane was open, you were able to easily, conveniently scroll through the body of individual messages....something you can no longer do!
Re: Introducing arrow key navigation in Gmail yleb...@gmail.com 3/6/13 6:55 AM
Hi Richard,
I have found a NEW problem that I had not noticed before.  I have a second email account that I set up to display at the bottom of my gmail main page.  In the past I would look at my new main email account and then continue down the page and look at the second email account.  Now I found that when I continue down the page with the arrow, when it gets to the bottom of the top page, it moves to the top and continues with the primary email account on the next page i.e from email 1-40 to emails 41-80. So i cannot scroll down to look at my second email account. I cannot highlight the top email in the second email account without opening the email, which often I don't want to do since a lot of this account is junk email. So my only option to look at my lists is to use the mouse and the side scroll bar, which I really don't like to do and why all of us like the arrows in the first place..
Do you have any solution to this?
thank you,
Roger

On Wednesday, February 27, 2013 8:28:15 PM UTC+2, Richard John Wu wrote:
Re: Introducing arrow key navigation in Gmail yleb...@gmail.com 3/6/13 6:58 AM
read below first. actually even when I highlight the top email in the second account and it opens, and I go back, it is highlighted but when I use the down arrow it still thinks I am looking at the top list and jumps to the top page. this is clearly a bug.
Re: Introducing arrow key navigation in Gmail Nat 3/6/13 7:24 AM
Any way we can turn this off? This is seriously very annoying and doesn't take a users perspective at all in mind. There's no way to scroll through conversations without using my mouse, which is something I never before had to do. Seems like it's only made things less user friendly.

On Wednesday, February 27, 2013 1:28:15 PM UTC-5, Richard John Wu wrote:
Re: Introducing arrow key navigation in Gmail Aubs 3/21/13 1:42 PM
I completely agree. I am pretty keyboard savvy and would rather use keyboard shortcuts than use a mouse (especially on a laptop).

From the main gmail page, if I press enter to open an email then press the down arrow key (as I have always done and every other website does), the page used to scroll down so I could actually read the entire email. Now, it just scrolls through the labels which means I am only able to use the scroll bar to read through an email. Even Page Up / Page Down doesn't work!
Re: Introducing arrow key navigation in Gmail Aubs 3/22/13 3:40 PM
Ok, so this now seems to be working as I would expect, pressing the up or down arrow keys / Page Up/Down keys now does scroll the conversation rather than the labels list.

Thanks if someone sorted this out as a result of this thread. :)

A.
Re: Introducing arrow key navigation in Gmail Beto Queiroz 3/23/13 10:06 AM
An excelent idea coming from GMail. Thank you for share, Richard.

         Adalberto de Queiroz
     Blog: http://betoqueiroz.com

2013/2/27 Richard John Wu <r...@google.com>

Re: Introducing arrow key navigation in Gmail yurkennis 11/6/13 6:41 AM
Please allow to disable left-right arrows, they are never useful but frequently either ruining my scroll position in the thread and/or make we wonder why I can't scroll up/down any more -- only to realize that it happened after I scrolled left-right in a large zoom, which resulted in focus on labels which I never meant to.