Go 1.3.1 is released

Showing 1-48 of 48 messages
Go 1.3.1 is released Andrew Gerrand 8/12/14 10:34 PM
Hi gophers,

We've just released Go version 1.3.1, a minor point release.

This release includes bug fixes to the compiler and the runtime, net, and crypto/rsa packages.

You can download binary and source distributions from the Go web site:

To compile from source using a Mercurial checkout, update to the release with "hg update release" and build as usual.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to the release.

Andrew
Re: Go 1.3.1 is released Archos 8/13/14 12:37 AM
In the section "# ../test/bench/shootout", it shows
***
Package libpcre was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `libpcre.pc'
No package 'libpcre' found
regex-dna
***

So, does package regexp is using C-bindings to trick the regex-dna benchmark in (http://benchmarksgame.alioth.debian.org/u64/performance.php?test=regexdna) ?

El miércoles, 13 de agosto de 2014 06:34:32 UTC+1, Andrew Gerrand escribió:
Re: [go-nuts] Re: Go 1.3.1 is released Andrew Gerrand 8/13/14 12:52 AM

On 13 August 2014 17:37, Archos <raul...@sent.com> wrote:
In the section "# ../test/bench/shootout", it shows
***
Package libpcre was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `libpcre.pc'
No package 'libpcre' found
regex-dna
***

So, does package regexp is using C-bindings to trick the regex-dna benchmark in (http://benchmarksgame.alioth.debian.org/u64/performance.php?test=regexdna) ?

Why don't you look at the source code and see for yourself? It took me all of 5 seconds to perform that search.

PCRE is used by test/bench/shootout/regex-dna.c which is a C program used to compare PCRE against Go's regexp package. (See recent timings.)

I don't see what we could possibly gain by gaming the shootout benchmarks.

Andrew

Re: [go-nuts] Re: Go 1.3.1 is released Archos 8/13/14 1:24 AM

Sure, 5 seconds when you know about http://golang.org/search?q=

PCRE is used by test/bench/shootout/regex-dna.c which is a C program used to compare PCRE against Go's regexp package. (See recent timings.)

I don't see what we could possibly gain by gaming the shootout benchmarks.

Maybe because Go is the second worst language in performance to use regular expressions?
Although I see that Rust also has a good performance for such task.

Re: [go-nuts] Re: Go 1.3.1 is released chai2010 8/13/14 1:27 AM
This bench test does not use the std regexp package.
It use pcre binds, it is a bad bench test.

Re: [go-nuts] Re: Go 1.3.1 is released Archos 8/13/14 1:41 AM
Anyway, the conclusion of that test is that the regular expressions have a superior performance in unsafe languages or languages that use a VM.

El miércoles, 13 de agosto de 2014 09:24:56 UTC+1, Archos escribió:
Re: [go-nuts] Re: Go 1.3.1 is released Andrew Gerrand 8/13/14 2:00 AM
Go's performance on that benchmark is related the simple implementation of the regexp package. It could be made faster, but you could also use PCRE bindings if you really care.

You should know this by now. It has come up many times before, and you have been posting here for four years.

Andrew

Re: [go-nuts] Re: Go 1.3.1 is released Gerard 8/13/14 2:04 AM
If speed is the only thing you care about, write assembly.
Re: [go-nuts] Re: Go 1.3.1 is released Gerard 8/13/14 2:06 AM
No, I didn't say that right. It should be: If speed is paramount, write assembly.
Re: [go-nuts] Re: Go 1.3.1 is released Archos 8/13/14 2:17 AM

El miércoles, 13 de agosto de 2014 10:00:55 UTC+1, Andrew Gerrand escribió:
Go's performance on that benchmark is related the simple implementation of the regexp package. It could be made faster, but you could also use PCRE bindings if you really care.

You should know this by now. It has come up many times before, and you have been posting here for four years.

You presuppose that all people uses Google groups like a mailing list to read all posts.
I presuppose that after of many years, the performance in reg.exp. would be to better performance.

Re: [go-nuts] Re: Go 1.3.1 is released David Symonds 8/13/14 2:25 AM
On 13 August 2014 19:17, Archos <raul...@sent.com> wrote:

> I presuppose that after of many years, the performance in reg.exp. would be
> to better performance.

It has increased in performance. Or are you presupposing that the
Alioth benchmark for regex performance is a representative benchmark?
Re: [go-nuts] Re: Go 1.3.1 is released Dave Cheney 8/13/14 3:32 AM
Archos(s)

What, exactly, are you trying to achieve by this line of inquiry?

The question of Go's apparent deficiency with respect to Perl compatible regular expressions has been discussed since the beginning of the language.

You have been a member of this list long enough to know this.

You also know that Go's regexp package will _NOT_ be altered to compete in this synthetic benchmark, the reasons for this have also been discussed repeatedly.

Perhaps this is the point where you complete your transition to the Rust mailing list.

Dave
Re: Go 1.3.1 is released Herbert Fischer 8/13/14 3:36 AM

Good job!

Just a small type at the release notes page: "compiler and the the runtime"

Em 13/08/2014 02:34, "Andrew Gerrand" <a...@golang.org> escreveu:
Re: [go-nuts] Re: Go 1.3.1 is released Liam 8/13/14 4:09 AM

On Wednesday, August 13, 2014 3:32:56 AM UTC-7, Dave Cheney wrote:

Perhaps this is the point where you complete your transition to the Rust mailing list.

I've found that kindness to trolls, no matter how unkind they've been to me, is less likely to discourage newcomers and novices. Just my 2c.
Re: [go-nuts] Re: Go 1.3.1 is released Archos 8/13/14 4:46 AM

El miércoles, 13 de agosto de 2014 10:25:28 UTC+1, David Symonds escribió:

I affirm that Go has been the first/second (and follows being) worst language to handle reg.exp. from beginning
Go has not increased its performance (for re.exp.) respect to the other languages.
Re: [go-nuts] Re: Go 1.3.1 is released Archos 8/13/14 4:54 AM

El miércoles, 13 de agosto de 2014 11:32:56 UTC+1, Dave Cheney escribió:

What, exactly, are you trying to achieve by this line of inquiry?

Simple, to clarify
a fact objective

The question of Go's apparent deficiency with respect to Perl compatible regular expressions has been discussed since the beginning of the language.

You have been a member of this list long enough to know this.

You also know that Go's regexp package will _NOT_ be altered to compete in this synthetic benchmark, the reasons for this have also been discussed repeatedly.
Like I have already said, not everybody use the groups like a mailing list.

Perhaps this is the point where you complete your transition to the Rust mailing list.

Perhaps this is the point where you try to ban to me from the Go mailing list.
Sure you could ban to this usernam but you could be sure I'll follow entering ;)

Re: [go-nuts] Re: Go 1.3.1 is released Camilo Aguilar 8/13/14 5:26 AM
Seriously, you guys should hire somebody outside of Google to handle community. Just like the Google Chrome team did, that community is great and vibrant. Go's community is really sad to watch. There is just too much lack of empathy and intolerance.
Re: [go-nuts] Re: Go 1.3.1 is released Nico 8/13/14 5:33 AM
On 13/08/14 13:26, Camilo Aguilar wrote:
> and vibrant. Go's community is really sad to watch. There is just too
> much lack of empathy and intolerance.

Although there are a small number of sad examples, there are also plenty
of very positive one.

Re: [go-nuts] Re: Go 1.3.1 is released Jonathan Lawlor 8/13/14 5:54 AM
I could not disagree more.  The fact that the Go Team is active is one of the reasons I like the language.
Re: [go-nuts] Re: Go 1.3.1 is released Andrew Gerrand 8/13/14 6:00 AM
On 13 August 2014 22:26, Camilo Aguilar <camilo....@gmail.com> wrote:
Seriously, you guys should hire somebody outside of Google to handle community. Just like the Google Chrome team did, that community is great and vibrant. Go's community is really sad to watch. There is just too much lack of empathy and intolerance.

Hi Camilo,

Thanks for calling me on this. I should have been patient in replying to Archos' original message.

After a long day preparing the release, I'll admit that I was exasperated when I saw the first reply to my release announcement was an accusation that we were rigging the benchmarks. And who was it from? The fifth-most prolific poster to this group, a long-time member of this community, and someone who I thought should know better. (There is history at play, here.)

In retrospect, I was wrong to assume malice, and probably should have dealt with it off-list. People overlook simple things all the time, and I should have been more charitable. I apologise for being snippy.

For what it's worth, I wouldn't call Go's community "sad to watch." I just looked over the most recent 40 threads and they are either project announcements or queries followed by helpful answers.

Andrew

On Wednesday, August 13, 2014 3:52:02 AM UTC-4, Andrew Gerrand wrote:

[...]

Re: [go-nuts] Re: Go 1.3.1 is released Archos 8/13/14 6:16 AM

El miércoles, 13 de agosto de 2014 14:00:49 UTC+1, Andrew Gerrand escribió:
[...]

It was not really my intention that the message was taken as an attack to Go team, contributors
or anyone who could be offended. I apologise for it.
I'm supposed that also was due to the "tone" of my message but well, it was not a hidden intention to trolling about Go. Simply, I'm too perfectionist and I look too much on small details.
Re: [go-nuts] Re: Go 1.3.1 is released Camilo Aguilar 8/13/14 6:18 AM
Hey Andrew,

I totally understand your point. It is frustrating to spent several hours preparing something to have someone sabotaging the whole thing. I take back what I say about the community, it is not fair to generalize, I agree. For what is worth, I'm coming from the Node and JS community, there was a policy against trolling that seemed to work, I'm not sure if the same would make sense for Go: http://blog.izs.me/post/30036893703/policy-on-trolling
Re: [go-nuts] Re: Go 1.3.1 is released Nate Finch 8/13/14 6:51 AM
Andrew gets mad: http://i.imgur.com/dbkbyDj.gif
Re: [go-nuts] Re: Go 1.3.1 is released DV 8/13/14 6:51 AM
Hi Andrew,

I respectfully disagree with Camilo. I think the Go community, and golang-nuts, are phenomenal. The amount of patience that you show, time and time again, with rude users, is exemplary. The fact that you, Dmitry, rsc, Rob and the rest of the experienced Gophers (too many to list) take time to respond, to give guidance, to help, in addition to writing excellent docs, tutorials, blogs, and guides is much appreciated by me and by others; I'm sure of that. Learning Go has been an extremely positive experience for me and the community that you have helped build is a big part of that. Keep up the good work - you have my gratitude.

Just my 2 cents.
Re: [go-nuts] Re: Go 1.3.1 is released Michael Ryan 8/13/14 7:50 AM
At minimum, one lurker appreciates the efforts made here. It doesn't take much for a list to become more caustic than helpful, and it's the list owners who set the tone.

Thanks.

On Wednesday, August 13, 2014 9:16:54 AM UTC-4, Archos wrote:

[...]

Re: [go-nuts] Re: Go 1.3.1 is released akwillis 8/13/14 8:07 AM
I could also post links to the responses that weren't so nice. I would agree with Camilo, this group has a few supercilious jerks. This message board is littered with snide remarks from those who have been charged as its caretakers. Things could be handled very differently.
Re: [go-nuts] Re: Go 1.3.1 is released Gustavo Niemeyer 8/13/14 9:31 AM
We can start handling it differently right now, by showing some
empathy and not judging Andrew's good track record on top of a one-off
message that has been apologized for.

Empathy is a funny thing. Easy to request, hard to give.
--

gustavo @ http://niemeyer.net
Re: [go-nuts] Re: Go 1.3.1 is released Liam Breck 8/13/14 10:51 AM

Re: [go-nuts] Re: Go 1.3.1 is released voidlogic 8/13/14 10:53 AM
The sad thing about all this is Go's PCRE based version isn't even the same code as the current PCRE based winner used by http://benchmarksgame.alioth.debian.org

A quick glance at the source makes that obvious too...

I also find it funny that Go using the same C library as pretty much all the other languages use is some how cheating in the benchmarks game... Ie. No complaints that PHPs regex implementation uses PCRE rather than native PHP....

On Wednesday, August 13, 2014 2:52:02 AM UTC-5, Andrew Gerrand wrote:

[...]

Re: [go-nuts] Re: Go 1.3.1 is released Ian Lance Taylor 8/13/14 11:03 AM
On Wed, Aug 13, 2014 at 10:53 AM, voidlogic <voidl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The sad thing about all this is Go's PCRE based version isn't even the same
> code as the current PCRE based winner used by
> http://benchmarksgame.alioth.debian.org
>
> A quick glance at the source makes that obvious too...

To be clear, Go doesn't have a PCRE based regexp at all.

> I also find it funny that Go using the same C library as pretty much all the
> other languages use is some how cheating in the benchmarks game... Ie. No
> complaints that PHPs regex implementation uses PCRE rather than native
> PHP....

To be clear, Go doesn't use the C library.  (I know you know this.)

Ian
Re: [go-nuts] Re: Go 1.3.1 is released Rob 'Commander' Pike 8/13/14 11:17 AM
That "funny" is only funny if you're in the right mood.

Our use of the benchmarks code is only to have some sample code for
our own purposes in benchmarking. We can and should and usually do
ignore the comparisons on the benchmarks web site. Moreover, the
versions of the C code we've pickled in our repo are not even close to
the fastest. They were chosen for clarity and simplicity for easy
comparison *by us* with equivalent Go code.

The benchmarks shootout is pretty much a waste of time. It has the
property of most cross-system benchmarks comparisons that it played
with unfair rules and gamed by those who want to win.

The presence of that code in our tree has helped us track some things,
but at this point I wouldn't mind deleting it altogether. It's not
used much and generates more heat than light.

-rob

On Wed, Aug 13, 2014 at 10:53 AM, voidlogic <voidl...@gmail.com> wrote:
Re: [go-nuts] Re: Go 1.3.1 is released kortschak 8/13/14 1:49 PM
But, you know that after this, he would clean the floor, put the table back and do the dishes as well.

On 13/08/2014, at 11:22 PM, "Nate Finch" <nate....@gmail.com> wrote:

> Andrew gets mad: http://i.imgur.com/dbkbyDj.gif
Re: [go-nuts] Re: Go 1.3.1 is released Dmitri Shuralyov 8/13/14 2:33 PM
Thank you for releasing Go version 1.3.1! Your hard work is much appreciated. :)
Re: [go-nuts] Re: Go 1.3.1 is released Shawn Milochik 8/13/14 2:38 PM
Most of the time I don't respond to threads unless I can help or need help. This time I just wanted to speak up and say that Go is awesome and the team is awesome. I look forward to the posts the team members blog, their tweets, and their YouTube videos on Go. The amount of negativity on this list ebbs and flows, but overall I think it's very good and could be amazing if people stopp feeding trolls, and also remind themselves regularly that newsgroup posts often fail to convey the intended tone. Especially when written by programmer-types.
Re: [go-nuts] Re: Go 1.3.1 is released smallfish 8/13/14 7:53 PM
I couldn't agree more. Thanks Go and Go team.

--

On Thu, Aug 14, 2014 at 5:38 AM, Shawn Milochik <shawn...@gmail.com> wrote:
Most of the time I don't respond to threads unless I can help or need help. This time I just wanted to speak up and say that Go is awesome and the team is awesome. I look forward to the posts the team members blog, their tweets, and their YouTube videos on Go. The amount of negativity on this list ebbs and flows, but overall I think it's very good and could be amazing if people stopp feeding trolls, and also remind themselves regularly that newsgroup posts often fail to convey the intended tone. Especially when written by programmer-types.

Re: Go 1.3.1 is released Nathan Youngman 8/13/14 9:03 PM

Thanks Andrew.

If anyone needs to run Go in an Ubuntu or FreeBSD VM, I've updated my Vagrant script to install Go 1.3.1:

Nathan.
Re: [go-nuts] Re: Go 1.3.1 is released Péter Szilágyi 8/14/14 12:21 AM
Thanks to the whole Go team for another great release :)

Re: Go 1.3.1 is released Siddon Tang 8/14/14 1:49 AM
Oh, what luck!  Yesterday I tried to write a go wrapper for tokudb but go build crash using go1.3, today I upgrade go1.3.1 and build ok.

Thank you!

在 2014年8月13日星期三UTC+8下午1时34分32秒,Andrew Gerrand写道:
Hi gophers,

We've just released Go version 1.3.1, a minor point release.

This release includes bug fixes to the compiler and the runtime, net, and crypto/rsa packages.

You can download binary and source distributions from the Go web site:

To compile from source using a Mercurial checkout, update to the release with "hg update release" and build as usual.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to the release.

Andrew
Re: Go 1.3.1 is released Igor Dolzhikov 8/14/14 1:57 AM
"go build crash using go1.3"

all was fixed, but the sediment left :)
Could you please show part of code which going to crash?

2014-08-14., 15:49:14 UTC+7 Siddon Tang:
Re: Go 1.3.1 is released Siddon Tang 8/14/14 4:51 PM
Hi

Here is my code

package main

//#include "tokudb.h"
import "C"

type Tx struct {
tx *C.DB_TXN
}

func main() {
return
}

Using go1.3, build crash message here:

# command-line-arguments

panic: runtime error: invalid memory address or nil pointer dereference

[signal 0xb code=0x1 addr=0x0 pc=0x15672]

goroutine 16 [running]:

runtime.panic(0x1dae60, 0x31b9e4)

/usr/local/go/src/pkg/runtime/panic.c:279 +0xf5

main.(*typeConv).Type(0x2083bc2c0, 0x220837fbd0, 0x2083d4060, 0xb2, 0x1)

/usr/local/go/src/cmd/cgo/gcc.go:1288 +0x1632

main.(*typeConv).Type(0x2083bc2c0, 0x220837fb98, 0x2083d4000, 0xb2, 0x0)

/usr/local/go/src/cmd/cgo/gcc.go:1189 +0x3dd6

main.(*typeConv).Struct(0x2083bc2c0, 0x208372cc0, 0xb2, 0x6, 0x0, 0x0, 0x8)

/usr/local/go/src/cmd/cgo/gcc.go:1551 +0x70b

main.(*typeConv).Type(0x2083bc2c0, 0x220837fc08, 0x208372cc0, 0xb2, 0x2084133e0)

/usr/local/go/src/cmd/cgo/gcc.go:1234 +0x3038

main.(*typeConv).Type(0x2083bc2c0, 0x220837fbd0, 0x208393dd0, 0xb2, 0x1)

/usr/local/go/src/cmd/cgo/gcc.go:1269 +0x1301

main.(*Package).loadDWARF(0x20836f1e0, 0x20837c100, 0x2083a6510, 0x2, 0x2)

/usr/local/go/src/cmd/cgo/gcc.go:541 +0xfb4

main.(*Package).Translate(0x20836f1e0, 0x20837c100)

/usr/local/go/src/cmd/cgo/gcc.go:182 +0x150

main.main()

/usr/local/go/src/cmd/cgo/main.go:259 +0xef1

Attachment is tokudb.h.

Thank you very much.

在 2014年8月14日星期四UTC+8下午4时57分45秒,Igor Dolzhikov写道:
Re: [go-nuts] Re: Go 1.3.1 is released Ian Lance Taylor 8/14/14 5:20 PM
On Thu, Aug 14, 2014 at 4:51 PM, Siddon Tang <siddo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Using go1.3, build crash message here:

I am unable to recreate this problem using either Go 1.3 or tip.

Can anybody else recreate it?

Ian
Re: [go-nuts] Re: Go 1.3.1 is released Ian Lance Taylor 8/14/14 5:20 PM
Immediately after I sent that I realized that it may be related to the
C compiler you are using.  What version of GCC or clang are you using?

Ian
Re: [go-nuts] Re: Go 1.3.1 is released Siddon Tang 8/14/14 5:29 PM
Hi, here is my gcc info

gcc -v

Target: x86_64-apple-darwin13.2.0

Thread model: posix

gcc version 4.9.0 (Homebrew gcc49 4.9.0)

and my clang info

clang -v

Apple LLVM version 5.1 (clang-503.0.40) (based on LLVM 3.4svn)

Target: x86_64-apple-darwin13.2.0

Thread model: posix

Thanks!

在 2014年8月15日星期五UTC+8上午8时20分58秒,Ian Lance Taylor写道:
Re: [go-nuts] Re: Go 1.3.1 is released Shawn Milochik 8/14/14 6:50 PM
Re: Go 1.3.1 is released Davide D'Agostino 8/14/14 10:03 PM
Awesome, thanks Andrew! :thumbsup:

Re: Go 1.3.1 is released mdem...@google.com 8/15/14 3:37 PM
On Thursday, August 14, 2014 4:51:36 PM UTC-7, Siddon Tang wrote:
Using go1.3, build crash message here:

# command-line-arguments

panic: runtime error: invalid memory address or nil pointer dereference

[signal 0xb code=0x1 addr=0x0 pc=0x15672]

goroutine 16 [running]:

runtime.panic(0x1dae60, 0x31b9e4)

/usr/local/go/src/pkg/runtime/panic.c:279 +0xf5

main.(*typeConv).Type(0x2083bc2c0, 0x220837fbd0, 0x2083d4060, 0xb2, 0x1)

/usr/local/go/src/cmd/cgo/gcc.go:1288 +0x1632

FWIW, this looks like http://golang.org/issue/8368, which was fixed in tip and apparently backported for Go 1.3.1.

Cheers
Re: Go 1.3.1 is released Laurent Le Goff 8/20/14 12:46 AM
Thanks for this release
Laurent

Le mercredi 13 août 2014 07:34:32 UTC+2, Andrew Gerrand a écrit :
Hi gophers,

We've just released Go version 1.3.1, a minor point release.

This release includes bug fixes to the compiler and the runtime, net, and crypto/rsa packages.

You can download binary and source distributions from the Go web site:

To compile from source using a Mercurial checkout, update to the release with "hg update release" and build as usual.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to the release.

Andrew
Re: [go-nuts] Re: Go 1.3.1 is released akwillis 8/30/14 9:15 AM
I demand an apology for every snide remark made on this forum! But seriously, considering that a link to this message board is posted at the bottom of http://golang.org/doc/install in the section label 'Getting Help' every question should be legitimate.
More topics »