New Dimension - Why not include an option in Google Earth to view user generated models mixed with Google models?

Showing 1-9 of 9 messages
New Dimension - Why not include an option in Google Earth to view user generated models mixed with Google models? Auquicu 6/6/12 8:17 PM
The 3D modeling communitiy is quite surprised, and frustrated with todays Google anouncement.

I wonder why does Google decide to include an option to let users view in Google Earth models, either 100% created by Google with their new technology, or to choose to view mixed Google and users models.
This way, Google Earth will be much better and the community will be happier.

Can a Googler suggest this to the big guys at the company?
Re: New Dimension - Why not include an option in Google Earth to view user generated models mixed with Google models? Athinaios 6/6/12 9:44 PM
I think none of us is against this new technology - let's face it - everything needs to develop, to meet and set new standards and raise the bar to achieve better results. However the way it is going to be changed seems to be very unfair for us, Geo-modelers.

The idea that Jorge proposed would be a great compromise - new, great technology + our carefully made models. Everybody admit that the quality of the new 3D models won't be as nice as sketch-up models in some cases. So, why not to make an exception for buildings that needs special care like churches, stadiums? Personally I don't think that lowering the quality in GE is a good move. You should be guys proud and be even more important - lucky, that you have people who do this great work for you for free, who are passionate about it, make GE a better place to look at, and love it, like me and many, many others. I totally understand that wasn't an easy choice to get rid of our models to make space for new ones. In my humble opinion it was a wrong decision, because you want to be completely relying on self-generating program and completely destroying the human factor in creating models. A program can't make beautifully crafted details, focus on every aspect of the building, especially on the building that one admire. We were making GE a really special place and it seems that someone didn't really appreciate our work and commitment. I feel pretty devastated that one of my models that I've been working on it for 2,5 yrs (and probably one more till completion) -1WTC would eventually be replaced with a dull self-generated model.

That's a disgrace for the whole community and I really hope that there is still time and will(?) to make it work together. I try to stay optimistic :)

What about imagery? How often is going to be changing? 2-4 yrs? If so, we shouldn't be able to see any activity in a particular area for years! Let's say NYC - there are always numerous buildings being under construction and we won't be even able to add them since the imagery won't show them  - that's ridiculous! :@

There really should be a re-think about the whole situation, because you're going to loose so many people that were trying to make GE a better program to use, at least in 3D.

Best,
Filip
Re: New Dimension - Why not include an option in Google Earth to view user generated models mixed with Google models? Google Craig 6/7/12 8:32 AM
Hi Auquicu, thank you for sharing your ideas. We have thought carefully about all of the options (ones similar to what you have suggested and many more) and have decided that we cannot mix SketchUp and 3D imagery models in the same location (based on many factors, some of which I cannot share publicly).

However, we will continue to have many areas where SketchUp models will continue to display, and it will of course take time to convert large cities to 3D imagery modeling, so in those cities there will be SketchUp and Building Maker models for a time. In this way, we will have what you suggest, a mix of SketchUp, Building Maker, and 3D imagery models.

Cheers,

     - CraigD
RE: New Dimension - Why not include an option in Google Earth to view user generated models mixed with Google models? Davenport GIS 6/7/12 8:43 AM

Craig, this is where I’m starting to get confused.  I thought they were only implementing the new layer on the MOBILE platform, where Sketchup models don’t currently have a layer.  Are you suggesting now that this isn’t just for Google Earth Mobile?  Also, I understand that they can’t be in the same location on the same layer, but they should be able to be on a separate layer.