Google Groups

Re: [zines aus] TiNA zine market this year

Ianto Ware Aug 20, 2012 8:19 PM
Posted in group: Australian Zines and Small Press
Admittedly, I haven't been to the TINA zine fair in a while so maybe I'm also being an old whinger, but then in between running festivals and working venues, I spend most of my time dealing with insurance and venue set up costs, so I can take a punt at the costs they'd be looking at.

I've never seen an example of a fair requiring its participants to take out their own public liability. Correct me if I'm wrong. If you're a sole trader, you should have it anyway, but they should be able to get blanket cover for participants up to $20mil if they're using a decent agent. There might have been changes to insurance lately, and I'm not an insurance agent, but I'd be surprised if this wasn't possible.

As for the costs, that's a topic for debate and might depend on whether they've managed to win grants to pay for venue rental, table rental etc. From memory, when I ran the zine fair in 2007 we had about 70 people, and about 40 tables. If we'd expected everyone to pay $45 per table that would have made $3,150, which (based on the last comparable events I ran), would probably have just paid for everything sans wages. That said, I would have expected an event like TINA to have secured enough grant funding to avoid passing costs on to their participants to this extent.

Thus, to my eye, I'd say it's a bit high. $20 or so makes sense, but $45 is a bit high. But its entirely possible their grants have been knocked back, Council has failed to provide in-kind support for use of a space and they're simply facing higher costs from the various regulatory bodies, in which case $45 might be the only way to take things forward.

That's my two cents.
cheers,
Ianto