Google Groups

Re: [zines aus] Re: TiNA zine market this year

Sarah Howell Aug 27, 2012 3:52 AM
Posted in group: Australian Zines and Small Press
Hey Raphael,

Just to update you, there has been another email conversation that has gone on from this one where Luke Sinclair announced the following:

"Hi everyone,

I just got off the phone with the National Young Writers Festival.  After polite discussions they have come up with the money to fund 52 half tressle table zine stalls at the This Is Not Art Zine Fair this year.  The stalls will be offered for free.  So a big thank you to all those people who spoke up and said that $45 zine stalls were not good enough.  And a massive thank you goes out to all those people who offered to put up money to fund the massive free zine stall - your money is no longer required - but the massive free zine stall lives on in all our minds.

TINA will put out an announcement hopefully this week."

So your suggestion is now not so urgent, but still worth investigating for next year. I would probably start with talking to Renew Newcastle who will have good advice about possible venues, dealing (or not) with council, etc, and just have a good look around the city this TINA and picture where you would like to see the next fair happen.

Sarah Howell.

On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 2:55 PM, Raphael Kabo <ralph...@gmail.com> wrote:
I wrote an Annoyed Blog Post about it: http://internetosaur.us/rainsoup/index.php?post=013
I've only been to the fair two times now, so of course I'm very much a newbie when it comes to the fair and its history, but I'm thinking that if there really are people who can't afford (or, understandably, don't want to afford) the fair in its 2012 incarnation, how difficult would it be to organise a little fair (~10 tables?) somewhere in Newcastle during the festival, just so that we're not forced to pay $60 to show other people our work? (This isn't a rhetorical question. I am genuinely interested in finding out how difficult it would be to set something like this up).