Google Groups

Re: [zines aus] TiNA zine market this year

keren woodward Aug 20, 2012 10:08 PM
Posted in group: Australian Zines and Small Press
I'm old and whinge-prone, so... back in my day (yes, roughly 10 years
ago) the festivals did have to fork out a lot of TINA money for public
liability insurance. As I recall, this was why the TINA umbrella was
useful, because it was able to (with funds from local council and
other sources, plus in-kind support) pay for or arrange venues, and
cover the cost of insurance. This meant the festivals could put their
funds into paying for participant travel or accommodation, and
ensuring that people didn't have to pay for a patch of space at the
zine fair.

Maybe the TINA umbrella/fund is gone now, and so this changes things
considerably. I don't know. Perhaps a zine fair or TINA organiser can
clarify this?

In 2003 we asked for zinester donations (zines and/or money), but this
was not compulsory. Yes it's 9 years ago, but still, I think there's
room for an argument that the money-making bits of the festival should
fund the bits that are important but not lucrative (i.e. zine fairs).
Without such arrangements both zinesters and 'zine shoppers' miss out
on things. The zinesters may not get to participate, and the readers
will be mourning the lack of unprofessional material. As we know,
having to pay for something does deter participation. And asking for
free participation is not just about whingeing for free rides, it's
actually arguing that there are some practices we'd like to preserve,
encourage, and protect from becoming 'financially viable' in ways that
many of us don't want them to be.

I wouldn't pay $45 for a stall because I wouldn't make $45. Perhaps if
I quadrupled the price of my zines and started calling them art books
I'd be better adjusted to 'zine culture 2012'? :p

paul
(webgroup posting... feels like ten years ago already)