Google Groups

Re: [zines aus] TiNA zine market this year

Bastian Fox Phelan Aug 22, 2012 3:44 PM
Posted in group: Australian Zines and Small Press
I wasn't planning on going this year and the $45 fee has really sealed the deal. last year was one of the most miserable zine fair days I've ever attended. I had to buy new pants at rivers because I got drenched in rain and didn't want to sit in a freezing carpark all day in wet clothes.

While I agree that MCA has surpassed TINA in terms of 'prestigious zine fairs of nsw' I also don't believe mca is hitting the mark. The snapdragon zine fair last year was more like it.

I think it's outrageous that TINA are charging $45 but to me this signals that it's not my zine fair any more. Someone else might think, $45 - that's a bargain. If TINA ends up turning away a whole bunch of bedroom-floor-&-glue-stick types, that just means those types need to get together and organise their own fair.

We don't need their funding and we don't need their control!

I also think it's better to have one or two interstate-attracting zine fairs per year, rather than 3+ because you're more likely to get a good concentration of zinesters from around the country. I don't think we would be losing much if TINA canned it completely, as long as there was something just as good or better happening elsewhere in Australia.

Bastian