Google Groups

Re: [zines aus] TiNA zine market this year

Sarah Howell Aug 22, 2012 5:27 PM
Posted in group: Australian Zines and Small Press
With the exception of a few diehards like Marcus Westbury, Sean Healy and Marni Jackson TINA has always been run by a new crop of people each year, some years those people have an understanding of zines and the zine community, sometimes they don't.

TINA's beauty and downfall is that it is created by whoever puts their hand up to do it. It still remains the most DIY festival because anyone can step up and change it. If someone is passionate about the art of painting gnomes and want to make a festival about their passion, TINA will accommodate.

I think the biggest hurdle is that there isn't anyone in Newcastle driving zine stuff right now. "The good old days" of TINA Zine Fair are mostly the result of dedicated locals advocating for zines and making it work.

xSH

On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 11:01 PM, Candace Petrik <runaw...@gmail.com> wrote:
While this is disappointing, it's sadly not the most surprising thing. The EWF hasn't had a zine fair for a while, but a 'page parlour' that is so broad in definition that it could be entirely without zines and nobody would blink. It seems TINA has just turned into something else and it's not entirely due to the financial issues, but part and parcel with the attitude of whoever's left running it. I suppose zines aren't important to them, or something they even think about or know much about. Otherwise they wouldn't be doing this. I haven't been since the  car boot garage sale zine fair, which had to me a disproportionate amount of craft already. I don't intend to go this year either. Or the next. or the next. Really, it's not worth the trip to me. If I lived in NSW I might, but even then. Meh.
I think that MCA, Sticky's zine fairs and Format's are more relavent these days. If I am going to scrounge my meagre funds to go interstate, it'll be to Sydney or Adelaide, not Newcastle.

xx Candace

On 22 August 2012 22:43, Eloise Peace <three...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hey Simon, that's very interesting. I also think it's crap that Sticky
should have to "fundraise" money from artists to buy $45 tables to
give to artists. What's the point of that? Why is TINA so precious
that it needs to have Sticky try and buy all tables upfront to
recirculate for free? It all seems so stupid. Sorry, TINA, you've lost
me, and anyone who is trying to enable this crap! arg! In the end it's
always the artist who has to pay upfront / donate their work for
fundraisers / etc. Nobody sticks up for the zinester. it's alll
shiiiiiiittttt. elle.