Google Groups

TiNA zine market this year

Simon Gray Aug 22, 2012 3:55 AM
Posted in group: Australian Zines and Small Press
TINA were going to charge this same fee last year, except NYWF asked me
to co-ordinate the fair. This was in conjunction with TINA's rep Justine
who I found out about later along with a briefing that explained the
stalls would cost the stupidly high fee.
When Justine called to say hi, I immediately gave her an angry
pig-headed vent about the stall price & she hung up on me. My next
contact with TINA/Justine was receiving the news that TINA or NYWF
(can't remember which) would be subsidising the stall fee for the
zinesters, hence last year's prices. On the day of the fair Justine & I
got on OK & worked hard to set things up & pack things down.
After dealing with last year's TINA organisers, myself & Justine
debriefed after that fair & agreed we probably weren't going to be
involved this year. Our liasons with TINA hadn't been good, & I never
got any renumeration for whatever work I had done within my mismanaged
role. (Justine's role meant I merely forwarded zinester interest to her.)
Presumably, whoever's left to pick up pieces for TINA 2012 have
outsourced fair organisers again from even further afield than anything
resembling the zine community, apparently this is the Fixx crew. & They
operate on a different economy to & in ignorance of zine fair requirements.

 From this experience, & having attended TINA many years, for the
entirety of the festival not just the fair Sunday, I think TINA has
become a weaker festival, it's core leadership has moved on to other
projects & it's organisation has fragmented. It could get better it
could get even worse. But I think the MCA fair has usurped TINA in size
& as a zine community specific event for that part of the country, it's
organised by consistent staff who have listened to zinester feedback
inside a rain-proof venue that has it's own liability insurance, not a
public car park.

Luke from Sticky worked as hard as me setting up & packing down the
tables last year at TINA, he also e-mailed me about this prior to this
going nutso in this e-mail list. He is really angry but has also
embraced an idea I'd had when faced with $45 zine stalls. He's
organising funding to buy all the stalls & then let zinesters have them
for free. I will support him financially but don't expect myself or
Format to be at TINA, we kind of have our own hot-damn Format festival
going on at the same time.

& Yes come to the Format Zine fair instead on October 7, our tables are
free for zinesters.

Cheerio lovelies, shame it's taken a shitty situation to come out the
woodwork & chat.

Simon Gray

http://www.redbubble.com/people/yummylychees