Google Groups

Re: [zines aus] Digest for - 4 Messages in 1 Topic

Elle Jul 7, 2011 5:10 AM
Posted in group: Australian Zines and Small Press
Hey Emma has made a really good point, as per miss helen, about the
goodness of the golden staple awards raising the profile of zines you
might not otherwise have come across, BECAUSE of the way small circles
of zinemakers operate. So good point. And true, it's a pisstake
competition thing, so I'm going to one extreme in my thinking.
I guess the problem with the golden staple awards is that
-it's going to be super hard to get to read all the nominated zines,
because there's no organised way to access their work
-only friends will be aware of other friends works, so it's more
likely that if this becomes an annual event, it's going to be the same
names coming up each year, the same people voting for the same people.

I guess what would make it better would be some organised way for the
golden staples to make the zines accessible to anyone who wants to
take part, in fact that's the best possible outcome, maybe a mail
order pack you can buy from format that contain all the nominations?
so people are being exposed to titles they wouldn't otherwise? In
which case it's a positive thing.

but it comes back to...only the people knowing about the nominated
zines/zinemakers who are likely to vote, like the whole thing is
encouraging cliques rather than breaking them down.

Like Simon has pointed out, the whole thing is optional, and designed
to raise the profile of zines and like others have said, it's a piss
take, so I'm overthinking the whole thing. It's a classic Eloise
moment. "Enjoy".