Google Groups

Re: [wordpress-austin] Gravity Forms, Custom Post Types, and Taxonomies

Michelle McGinnis Apr 6, 2012 8:54 AM
Posted in group: WordPress Austin
Have you tried setting the permissions lower, to Contributor or Subscriber level? Instead of publish_posts using edit_posts or just read?

On Fri, Apr 6, 2012 at 10:48 AM, John Chandler <> wrote:
Hi all,

I've built a directory site where members can post their own directory listing using a Gravity Form posting to a Custom Post Type (called directory) via the Gravity Forms & Custom Post Types Plugin. Everything works fine, except the Custom Taxonomies I have setup as part of the form. If I post to the form while logged in as admin, the taxonomies are properly assigned. But if I use the form logged in as any other level (Editor and below), the taxonomies aren't assigned. However, I can assign taxonomies to the post from the backend, so there are rights in place to at least edit them. Here's the different steps I've tried in troubleshooting:

1) I've tried using both a custom capability called 'directory' as well just using the 'post' capability for the custom post type.
2) I've left the capabilities on the taxonomy set to default, and I've also tried assigning them to 'publish_posts', i.e.
    'capabilities' => array (
   'manage_terms' => 'publish_posts',
   'edit_terms' => 'publish_posts',
   'delete_terms' => 'publish_posts',
   'assign_terms' => 'publish_posts'
3) I've tried hitting my keyboard with a hammer.

This site was ready to launch and this problem appeared in final testing, so I'd love to sort it out. Anyone have any ideas what might be causing my problem?

John Chandler
twitter: @johnchandler

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "WordPress Austin" group.
To post to this group, send email to
For more options, visit this group at
Our meeting information is available at

Michelle McGinnis