Google Groups

Re: Why a new wiki?

Xophist Mar 31, 2012 2:41 PM
Posted in group: WikEmacs

On Friday, March 30, 2012 4:34:16 PM UTC-5, David Biesack wrote:
Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of MediaWiki-based wikis, but I'm curious why the creators of WikEmacs felt motivated to
start a new wiki when EmacsWiki has been there for years, is widely known, etc. True, it may be lagging, but
is the thought that a new MediaWiki-based wiki will be able to overcome the problems that EmacsWiki suffers from?
Obviously, someone thinks a potential of a new wiki outweighs the problems brought on by fracturing the community
[snipped]

David,

You might find this interesting:

Emacs Wiki Problems

Many Emacswiki pages look like a sandbox, just an incoherent mess.

Also, why bother learning Emacswiki markup, when nearly everyone is familiar with Wikipedia conventions?

The ease of editing WikEmacs, and the promise of more useful and coherent content, have induced me to contribute. The quality of contributions so far is encouraging.

--
greg scott