Google Groups

Re: Webconverger connecting to network only on one computer

Xenchou Jan 8, 2012 8:53 PM
Posted in group: Webconverger Users
Hello,

I am no Linux expert (use it about once or twice a year from odd
things), so take this for what it is worth....

What may be happening is that the eth0 is 'reserved' by a MAC address,
and when you transfer to a second computer the system renames the
local eth0 (which no longer matched the MAC it knows) to eth1. If you
start a Kiosk without the 'noroot', start a terminal, and check the
syslog:

webc@webconverger:~$sudo grep eth /var/log/syslog

You will see a couple lines, but one should end with something like
this:

udev[448]: renamed network interface eth0 to eth1

If you see the same message, then you probably have this file:

webc@webconverger:~$sudo cat /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules

You will notice in this file it reserves eh0 to a specific MAC
address, the same as the one from the system you built the Kiosk on.

On regular builds from Kai this file does not exist. You have one
because on your system that you built the ISO on did, and Kai does
not. Check your own system for the same file, and compare the output
to that from the CD.

During the live-build process your local files are used to build the
CD. To avoid this issue, you can remove your local copy (and I
recommend any other files in rules.d) until the build is finished.
This should keep your eth0 as eth0, and avoid brining over local
settings (mounts as well) to the Kiosk system.

A second option, now that you know what the system is renaming it to
(eth1 most likely) then you can update your interfaces files to apply
the same IP to eth1. Just use the same file, but replace the eth0's
with eth1's.

This is something I noticed happening on a system I just recently did,
and while I haven't tested this fully yet (not at the location) it
seems to work in the little lab I have here at home.

Also, for ifconfig, try :

webc@webconverger:~$sudo ifconfig

Stewart