Google Groups

Re: VAST on ubuntu and Umlauts

Joachim Tuchel Apr 12, 2012 8:05 AM
Posted in group: VA Smalltalk
Hmm...

I am setting the Locale to en_US before startup.
And as you can see in the screenshot I posted earlier, Inspectors can show Umlauts on the left list pane, but not in the edit panes.... So I'd guess this is either a bug in the Motif Library or in VAST... If it was just a misconfiguration, wouldn't the panes show wrong characters instead if simply cutting off?

On the other hand: you never know...

Joachim

Am Donnerstag, 12. April 2012 16:42:32 UTC+2 schrieb Marten Feldtmann:
Hello Joachim,

yes I have seen this too - very often. But it seems for me, that this is due to a misconfiguration of Linux and its running VASmalltalk. VASmalltalk still thinks, that UTF8 is used as a code page ... I have managed it once to make a Linux system so sweet, that VASmalltalk showed its Windows source code without problems ... I am still wondering how all those Unix programs from other people work without problems and VASmalltalk has so many problems ....

After all I think, that the only correct way of programming would be a complete UTF8 aware IDE (which is not available in the near future) or a complete string management done in external files - NLS enabled applications. But for the last feature I would really lik to see more comfort ...