Google Groups

BBC Callsign

Walt Davidson Apr 23, 1996 12:00 AM
Posted in group: uk.radio.amateur
ar...@lightfox.demon.co.uk (Ariel Radio Group, London) wrote:

>The Ariel Radio Group is notorious for snapping up callsigns with the
>letters "BBC", and to date only G1BBC, G(W?)4BBC and G5BBC have escaped our
>grasp.  You may not be surprised that even GB7BBC has fallen into our
>clutches !

Ha ha!  Yes, I note you also hold G2LO and G5XX (London and Daventry),
which is fair enough as both callsigns were shown as BBC Broadcasting
Stations in the 1923 callbook!  (minus the G prefix, of course).  Also
G3AYC, which I think was the original Ariel Radio Group callsign.

>The group is an association of "Ariel Radio Clubs", most of which are a
>section of a regional BBC Club, although the London group has four club
>stations and publishes the newsletter.

Nice loophole!

>The group's current special project is GB60BBC celebrating 60 years of the
>television service.

I know ... I have been trying to find this station on the air, but have
failed so far.  I believe it was aired from S. Wales a few days ago, but
nothing heard here.  Never mind ... I managed to work 25 Marconi Day
stations on Saturday, including one at the site of "2 Emma Toc" which
was a Broadcasting Station before the BBC started!

The callsign G2MT was reissued and is now held by an individual radio
amateur.

73 de G3NYY
(Holder of only one Club Call ... M0ADJ)

--
Walt Davidson               E-mail: wa...@servelan.co.uk
                                    10052...@compuserve.com