Google Groups

Re: [twitter-dev] Re: consistency and ecosystem opportunities

Adam Green Mar 12, 2011 4:54 PM
Posted in group: Twitter Development Talk
Thanks, Ryan. That helps a lot, and we should all repeat that to anyone who asks or says otherwise. So we have one answer. Tweeting in apps is still good.

Now, can you explain what you mean by  "It's apps that render a user their timeline." Please answer this. Is displaying a list of tweets forbidden or allowed?

If yes, is displaying a list of tweets *and* also providing functionality that lets the user post their own tweets allowed in the same app?

That is really all we need to know.

I won't ask you to explain why this isn't a "client". :)

On Sat, Mar 12, 2011 at 7:47 PM, Ryan Sarver <> wrote:
Mike, a client is one that recreates the twitter experience, or in your words the "primary" experience. So I don't consider Instagram or Foursquare in that group. It's apps that render a user their timeline.

Apps that post into Twitter are great and explicitly called out at the bottom of the email.

Hope that helps clarify.

Best, Ryan
Ryan Sarver

On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 9:09 PM, Mike Champion <> wrote:
Thanks for the clarification Ryan. Two questions:

1) Do you have a clear definition of what counts as a Twitter client?
Is it any app/service that posts updates to Twitter, including apps
like twitterfeed and Instapaper? Or is it only those apps that are
"primarily" clients? I'm certainly familiar with the challenge of
classifying apps ;) but wanted to know who will be covered by the ToS
Section 1.5 and how you think about "clients" given Twitter's updated

2) In section 1.5.A of the ToS it says:

"Your Client must use the Twitter API as the sole source for features
that are substantially similar to functionality offered by Twitter.
Some examples include trending topics, who to follow, and suggested
user lists."

Is the "Who to follow" functionality available via API from Twitter
for clients that want to offer this? I wasn't aware that it been
released as API but may have missed it on

On Mar 11, 3:47 pm, Eric Mill <> wrote:
> "More specifically, developers ask us if they should build client apps that
> mimic or reproduce the mainstream Twitter consumer client experience.  The
> answer is no."
> "We need to ensure users can interact with Twitter the same way everywhere."
> I'm not sure you can say these things and simultaneously try to say you have
> a welcoming developer environment. All third party Twitter developers, no
> matter what they make, are now walking on eggshells, constantly at risk of
> offending Twitter's ideas of how users should interact with Twitter.
> You may feel you "need" this consistency, but you don't. You want it, and
> are willing to make tradeoffs to get it. I just hope you realize how big
> those tradeoffs are, and how chilling it is for Twitter to decide that only
> certain kinds of innovation on the Twitter API are welcome.
> -- Eric

Twitter developer documentation and resources:
API updates via Twitter:
Issues/Enhancements Tracker:
Change your membership to this group:

Twitter developer documentation and resources:
API updates via Twitter:
Issues/Enhancements Tracker:
Change your membership to this group:

Adam Green