Google Groups

Re: [JCO:1105] L I T T O R A L | Key West Literary Seminar

Sho Journet Feb 18, 2012 3:33 AM
Posted in group: Tone Clusters: The Joyce Carol Oates Discussion Group
,Hey, M.R.

" The Gravedigger's Daughter " was, well, long;
yes, quite a thick little tome, if I recall - excellent for boosting toddlers up to the table at the IHOP.

I jest.
Enjoyed it;  haven't found bad JCO yet, and have been partaking for some 25 years.

As a lapsed Jew (  now invoke an eclectic spirituality ) I found the characterization very familiar .
Beyond that, I won't go; you're still reading.

I'm thinking, and it's been awhile, that
" the Gravedigger's Daughter" evolved from a JCO short story, in letter form.
The name Rebecca comes to mind, a correspondence between cousins....

For myself, JCO- wise, first blood was the collection " I Am No One You Know".

A reader since Little Golden Books were a quarter, I found the tone, the caliber, the unique and disquieting style of the author addictive.

Went on to gobble everything JCO on steel shelves at the local library and during my five year tenure at Barnes and Noble ( " How 'bout that Membership ? " ).

Just when I thought the well was dry
( for the moment ), I was able to ferret out the Rosamund Smith novels.
Withdrawals, begone!

" My Sister, My Love" is where I left off.

I did click on your link.
Interesting; impressive.
Enjoyed seeing your mustachio'd visage and placing a face to the words.
Could not yet access other photos, etc. 'cause for some reason never got around to a Google account, my email 'n'  stuff's Yahoo.
Couldn't sign in.
But I will sometime soon.

Tehran?
Nah.  Bronx girl.
At least until Junior High.

Pelham Parkway, Lydig Ave.,
Took the bus with my giggling girlfriends to shop at Alexander's on Fordham Road.

Ensconced in Miami since the early '70's.

The Iran connection is my fascination with our friend Shifteh's translation of JCO into, I believe, Farsi.

I had an image of her, I dunno,
squatting in the corner of a dome-roofed edifice wrapped deep within a bursa, a dog- eared English- Farsi(an?) dictionary in hand, with a bunch of swarthy, be- robed government dudes peering over her shoulder, lest a radical thought escape her brain.

Shifteh, my apologies.
I stand enlightened.

Now, I'ma lay down enlightened ...
the sun's about to come up...& try to sleep for a bit before I go feed my hundred cats.

Later, Sho
=^..^=

Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 17, 2012, at 8:55 PM, Michaelangelo Rodriguez <prm...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello Shoshanna, how are you? Oh yes, I was a student of JCO. You can see our picture at: www.google.com/profiles/prmike
What else have you read by her? I am currently reading "The Gravedigger's Daughter." I have some other books on the Kindle. I am enjoying also "The Tiger's Wife" by Tea O. Where do you live? Tehran? Best wishes, let's talk more about JCO. Michaelangelo

On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 5:21 AM, Sho Journet <shojo...@ymail.com> wrote:
Yes, M., agreed;
 just meant that the heart's spectrum, and a colorful one it is indeed, spans and transcends culture and nationality, no?

In my thoughts about translation,
I found myself guilty of the worst kind of  prejudice - that which is self blinding & would have denied 'til the end had I been directly accused.

Instead, I was gently and diplomatically reminded that angels, demons and all manner of seraphim in between possess no passport.

' ppreciate the chance to clarify !

BTW, if I recall from past posts,
you were a student of JCO quite literally ( no pun intended ! ).
How cool !
Keep in touch?  Christmas cards?
What a profound and remarkable influence....

Warmly,
Shoshanna

Sent from my iPhone