Google Groups

Re: [symfony-devs] making the components/bridge repo's the target for PR's

Fabien Potencier Apr 4, 2012 1:13 AM
Posted in group: Symfony developers (DISABLED)
On 4/4/12 10:05 AM, Lukas Kahwe Smith wrote:
> For the record this thread was spawned from the following comment in http://groups.google.com/group/symfony-devs/browse_frm/thread/b258766d68269c6c:
>
> "3) i discussed briefly with Fabien in Denver about switching symfony/symfony to be a collection of submodules and making the component/bridge repo's the target for PR's. not sure if he has dropped the idea as it will make maintaining 2.0 a serious pain, but the benefit would be that for projects just using some components the contribution workflow would be a lot nicer"
>
> On Apr 4, 2012, at 07:47 , Fabien Potencier wrote:

>>> yeah .. i discussed this with Fabien.
>>> i would expect Symfony2 core developers to basically use the remodeled symfony/symfony for their development still .. making it just as easy to run the full test suite.
>>> the only thing that would get harder are commits that span multiple components/bridges/bundles.
>>>
>>> most commits addressing components only, tend to be in a single component.
>>> so i expect the main issue to appear with PR's doing changes that affect both bundles and components.
>>>
>>> the main question here is if the current layout is a big enough hinderance for component users that its ok to make the dev workflow for us harder?
>>> i guess before we do this, it would be best to discuss this with our user base. so if we do want to explore this, i guess a blog post on symfony.com addressing the projects using Symfony2 components would be the way to go to determine how much of a pain there is today.
>>
>> I have not dropped the plan and I have actually done the first step, which was to move the unit tests in the components themselves. I have not done the next step yet as Jordi was skeptical about that for good reasons.
>>
>> So, at least, people using some of the components can now run the unit tests on their configuration, without installing the whole symfony/symfony package.
>>
>> And as I said before, I'd rather make our life (core contributors) a bit harder if that makes our users life (Symfony developers) easier.
>>
>> But let's talk about that in another thread.
>

> with your recent moving of the tests, they can at least more easily run the tests in isolation of the other components.
> so do we already know that the pain for components users is so big if they have to submit their component/bridge PR's to symfony/symfony?
>
> if we are not yet sure how big of an issue the current structure is, then like i said we should open a dialog with those users.
> i guess i will just post a link to this thread via twitter.

The best would be to allow people to submit PRs on both the specific
component repository and on the main symfony/symfony repository... just
because people will want to use the repository they are using for their
use case as the base for the PR.

Fabien