In theory, I would have been for feature freezing the 2.1 branch before starting the form refactoring and then doing it in master, but since this is not possible anymore, and bundles have adjusted to this already. I would prefer to wait a bit longer with the 2.1 release.
For the future, I think we should clearer communicate when we make a feature freeze and then split branches. So, that we can stabilize one branch for release while continuing the development in the master branch.
I support reverting the form and validator BC breaks in the 2.1 branch and releasing sooner than later. It doesn’t make sense to delay release of all the goodness that is stable in 2.1 to give the form/validator work time to stabilize.
Releasing 2.1 now also gives the form/validator work more time so we can be sure we get it right and not have to break BC again.
On Friday, April 27, 2012 at 11:26 AM, Mark Badolato wrote:
* Wait for the form component to stabilize: we can probably schedule 2.1 for August 2012. In the meantime, we should concentrate on the form component and delay other big changes that can affect the stability of the release.
* Release 2.1 as soon as possible.
Whatever we choose, I want to next Symfony 2 releases to have shorter release cycles (a bit like what I do with Twig); and for that to happen, we need to keep BC as much as possible so that people can upgrade to new versions without any fear.
I'm for delaying 2.1 until it's ready.
If you want to report a vulnerability issue on symfony, please send it to security at symfony-project.com