Google Groups

Re: Symfony 2.1 release


Daniel A.Tiecher Apr 27, 2012 12:43 PM
Posted in group: Symfony developers (DISABLED)
I share Kris's opinion. We have already dragged this release a lot and then postponing it to August would mean that a truck load of new PRs would be opened against master, which in turn would need to:

a) be integrated in the 2.1 release and possibly hurt the stability of the codebase which could push the tentative date even further
b) be left alone until we release 2.1

Option a will go against the shorter release cycles Fabien expects Symfony2 to have and option b is definitively a bad choice to attract new contributors.

Em sexta-feira, 27 de abril de 2012 15h09min50s UTC-3, Fabien Potencier escreveu:
Hi all,

The Symfony 2.1 release was expected to be published some time ago and
we struggle with it for two main reasons:

* The number of contributions we have every single day. That's great but
it means that it is never a good time to release because of this last
minute great change that we want to merge first;

* The recent BC breaks in the form/validator components.

But basically, we cannot release 2.1 because of the second point. We
need to be sure that we only break BC for forms only once. So, we have
two options:

* Wait for the form component to stabilize (which means that we are
happy with the state of the API and that enough people have played with
it and are happy with the features)

* Release 2.1 as soon as possible (because we already have quite a few
nice enhancements).

I thought that the second option was do-able by forking master and
reverting some PRs related to the form component (the ones that actually
break BC and are not stable yet because of some bugs or regressions --
surprisingly, we are not talking about many of them).

Many people think the contrary and so, I want to hear everybody's
opinion on this matter.

Let me reiterate the two possibilities here:

* Wait for the form component to stabilize: we can probably schedule 2.1
for August 2012. In the meantime, we should concentrate on the form
component and delay other big changes that can affect the stability of
the release.

* Release 2.1 as soon as possible.

Whatever we choose, I want to next Symfony 2 releases to have shorter
release cycles (a bit like what I do with Twig); and for that to happen,
we need to keep BC as much as possible so that people can upgrade to new
versions without any fear.

Fabien

--
Fabien Potencier
Sensio CEO - Symfony lead developer
sensiolabs.com | symfony.com | fabien.potencier.org
Tél: +33 1 40 99 80 80


Em sexta-feira, 27 de abril de 2012 15h09min50s UTC-3, Fabien Potencier escreveu:
Hi all,

The Symfony 2.1 release was expected to be published some time ago and
we struggle with it for two main reasons:

* The number of contributions we have every single day. That's great but
it means that it is never a good time to release because of this last
minute great change that we want to merge first;

* The recent BC breaks in the form/validator components.

But basically, we cannot release 2.1 because of the second point. We
need to be sure that we only break BC for forms only once. So, we have
two options:

* Wait for the form component to stabilize (which means that we are
happy with the state of the API and that enough people have played with
it and are happy with the features)

* Release 2.1 as soon as possible (because we already have quite a few
nice enhancements).

I thought that the second option was do-able by forking master and
reverting some PRs related to the form component (the ones that actually
break BC and are not stable yet because of some bugs or regressions --
surprisingly, we are not talking about many of them).

Many people think the contrary and so, I want to hear everybody's
opinion on this matter.

Let me reiterate the two possibilities here:

* Wait for the form component to stabilize: we can probably schedule 2.1
for August 2012. In the meantime, we should concentrate on the form
component and delay other big changes that can affect the stability of
the release.

* Release 2.1 as soon as possible.

Whatever we choose, I want to next Symfony 2 releases to have shorter
release cycles (a bit like what I do with Twig); and for that to happen,
we need to keep BC as much as possible so that people can upgrade to new
versions without any fear.

Fabien

--
Fabien Potencier
Sensio CEO - Symfony lead developer
sensiolabs.com | symfony.com | fabien.potencier.org
Tél: +33 1 40 99 80 80


Em sexta-feira, 27 de abril de 2012 15h09min50s UTC-3, Fabien Potencier escreveu:
Hi all,

The Symfony 2.1 release was expected to be published some time ago and
we struggle with it for two main reasons:

* The number of contributions we have every single day. That's great but
it means that it is never a good time to release because of this last
minute great change that we want to merge first;

* The recent BC breaks in the form/validator components.

But basically, we cannot release 2.1 because of the second point. We
need to be sure that we only break BC for forms only once. So, we have
two options:

* Wait for the form component to stabilize (which means that we are
happy with the state of the API and that enough people have played with
it and are happy with the features)

* Release 2.1 as soon as possible (because we already have quite a few
nice enhancements).

I thought that the second option was do-able by forking master and
reverting some PRs related to the form component (the ones that actually
break BC and are not stable yet because of some bugs or regressions --
surprisingly, we are not talking about many of them).

Many people think the contrary and so, I want to hear everybody's
opinion on this matter.

Let me reiterate the two possibilities here:

* Wait for the form component to stabilize: we can probably schedule 2.1
for August 2012. In the meantime, we should concentrate on the form
component and delay other big changes that can affect the stability of
the release.

* Release 2.1 as soon as possible.

Whatever we choose, I want to next Symfony 2 releases to have shorter
release cycles (a bit like what I do with Twig); and for that to happen,
we need to keep BC as much as possible so that people can upgrade to new
versions without any fear.

Fabien

--
Fabien Potencier
Sensio CEO - Symfony lead developer
sensiolabs.com | symfony.com | fabien.potencier.org
Tél: +33 1 40 99 80 80