Google Groups

Re: [symfony-devs] Symfony 2.1 release

Marco Roello May 3, 2012 1:23 PM
Posted in group: Symfony developers (DISABLED)
It is exactly what I was meaning.

I'm talking from a framework consumer perspective.
It seems that the (the largest) community is trying to stay updated with the master branch, while (obviously) symfony stays on the stable realease.
And this makes confusion.
Symfony 2 is quite stable, meanwhile 2.1 seems a major update, with a lot of changes in many components.
We should always remember one the main purpose (it is my point of view) of a framework...allow the developer to do complex things in a simple manner.
So, if we have an update that can break something, in my opinion it must be isolated and well documented.

Il giorno giovedì 3 maggio 2012 09:48:41 UTC+2, Christophe COEVOET ha scritto:
Le 01/05/2012 00:03, Marco Roello a �crit :
> I would like to introduce a (personal) problem that I encountered in
> the development of applications with symfony.
> My feeling when I waited for the "big jump" to version 2.0, was that
> of a framework that among the various goals, had to transparently
> handle version management. One of the major management problems at the
> end of the application has been (at least for me) just the upgrade
> procedure.
> "Everything is a Bundle": Symfony is a collection of bundles ....
> If we explore, the downloads of the most important
> bundles already points to 2.1, creating confusion about who develops
> on the stable version instead.
This is simply a flaw in knpbundles: it displays only the Symfony
version required by the master branch of the bundle. But this does not
mean that other versions of the bundle cannot be compatible with Symfony
2.0.x. Many bundles out there are maintaining 2 branches, one for 2.0.x
and the other for 2.1

Christophe | Stof