Google Groups

Re: {SunPy} Fwd: [Matplotlib-users] Installing NumPy / SciPy / Matplotlib / IPython on Mac OS 10.7 (Lion)

DavidPS Mar 7, 2012 2:15 AM
Posted in group: SunPy
I'm feeling great today!! I'm realizing more and more that there's more people out there going in the same direction I'm going ;-)

One important thing I found nice using the approach I did (virtual_env + homebrew + python official installation) is that we can package the whole thing for different architectures and the people has just to untar it and use it.  I know it is not ideal, but it would save us of a lot of hazard and complains... So I propose to have two options, one for the user (download and use) and another for the hard-core guys, install, compile and fight.  I will try some time this week to package my installation and deployed it in a similar mac to see how it works.  I will update the mail list.

Cheers,
David

On 6 March 2012 20:54, Keith Hughitt <keith....@gmail.com> wrote:
Another possible route for Mac installation.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Ludwig Schwardt <ludwig....@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 7:17 AM
Subject: [Matplotlib-users] Installing NumPy / SciPy / Matplotlib / IPython on Mac OS 10.7 (Lion)
To: matplotl...@lists.sourceforge.net
Cc: Nicolas Le Bihan <Nicolas....@gipsa-lab.grenoble-inp.fr>

Hi all,

This is a topic that I have spent way too many hours on... Ever since
Mac OS 10.4 I have been fine-tuning installation instructions for
these packages, aiming for the shortest instructions installing as few
extras as possible. With Lion it is finally getting very simple :-)

First off, I agree that the Enthought Python distribution is a good
way to go. It has the downsides of being a separate Python
installation (at least pretty well implemented) and costing quite a
bit of money to get the full functionality. So if you want an
alternative costing only a little bit of effort, read on...

Second, I would not recommend installing another Python on a Mac
unless you know what you are doing. Just use the system-provided
Python! In my experience the Mac environment is not very well
configured to handle multiple Pythons and you can easily find your
Python code using some bits of the one Python distribution and some of
the other, leading to strange bugs. Ask yourself whether you really
need Python 2.7.2 when you already have 2.7.1 installed. [Yes, I know
you can "brew install python", but it goes against the whole
philosophy of Homebrew, doesn't it?]

This installs the latest stable releases of these packages, using only
Homebrew and easy_install. I use the system-provided NumPy 1.5.1, as
this is good enough for most purposes and therefore one less package
to install. I assume that you have Lion, Xcode 4 and not much else
(see the more detailed instructions below if you have more than this).

For the impatient, here are my instructions ready to be entered on
your Terminal:

/usr/bin/ruby -e "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.github.com/gist/323731)"
brew update
brew install pkg-config gfortran zeromq pyqt
echo "export PYTHONPATH=/usr/local/lib/python:\$PYTHONPATH" >> ~/.bash_profile
sudo easy_install nose Sphinx readline Pygments pyzmq IPython matplotlib
sudo CC=clang CXX=clang++ FFLAGS=-ff2c easy_install scipy

I also attach a more detailed description below, including tests to
check whether your installation works. Now to put all of this on a
blog... :-)

Enjoy and good luck,
Ludwig