Google SketchUp Help - RETIRED

Re: Nested Layers

mysearch Aug 25, 2009 4:26 AM
Posted in group: Feature suggestions
I would have thought that the SU developers already have a blueprint
for nested layers, nested components and nested material that is
readily understood by all its users, i.e. outliner aka nested groups.
If you change the terminology of the anchor point from groups to
folder you have the universally understood concept of nested files/
objects of any description.

If so, allow users to created, rename and delete recursive anchor-
points, i.e. folders, in all 4 of the key management interfaces within
SU, i.e. outliner, layers, components and materials. This way you give
the flexibility back to the user to organise their models within any
hierarchical structure they wish. It also extends the consistency of
operation in-line with outliner to all management interfaces.

With regard to the idea forward by jgb and commented on by tacarr,
importing a component with all the potential implications on the
organisation of layers, components and materials, these could all go
into a default ‘folder’ within the respective interfaces without the
complexity of N options. From my experience it seems essential that
any reasonably sized model would have already organised their model
out of the default folders. After importing the component, the user
could then simply create an appropriate folder within each category,
i.e. layers, components and materials, that meets their needs.

N.B. The model report would also be a nice feature listing all named
objects.