Google Groups

Re: [silverstripe-dev] Improve silverstripe.org Module and Widgets pages

S.P. Mohanty Mar 24, 2012 9:56 AM
Aww sorry, I guess, I forgot to add the main link I intended to send out to ya guys in the last link.
So spare the double mail,

Hi all,
for those of you who are intrested in the module pages project,
http://drupal.org/node/538904
 this would be a very comprehensive starting point, a very detailed discussion on how it has to be in Drupal, but we can very much relate to the situation.

--Mohanty
http://web.iiit.ac.in/~sharada.mohanty

P.S. : btw Drupal has a very cool Module installation, page. wildkatana worked on some improvements last year, and he did a fab job. This is a link to his projects page, you guys can get inspired :) !! http://groups.drupal.org/node/145159

On Sat, Mar 24, 2012 at 10:24 PM, S.P. Mohanty <spmoh...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi all,
for those of you who are intrested in the module pages project, this would be a very comprehensive starting point, a very detailed discussion on how it has to be in Drupal, but we can very much relate to the situation.

--Mohanty
http://web.iiit.ac.in/~sharada.mohanty

P.S. : btw Drupal has a very cool Module installation, page. wildkatana worked on some improvements last year, and he did a fab job. This is a link to his projects page, you guys can get inspired :) !! http://groups.drupal.org/node/145159

On Sat, Mar 24, 2012 at 10:12 PM, vikas srivastava <viky...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Philipp

  I did some research on module download pages of drupal, wordpress,
joomla and i got some good point which we can implement with
silverstripe.org module and widget download page .

FRONT-END IMPROVEMENT (on main search page) :

1- we can add following extra search filters on search page in
addition to existing ones.

(I) Module categories - like e-commerce, developers module, security
etc.

(II) Sort-By - like most installed, most popular, last build, author,
date, latest etc.

(III) Status- like stable projects, under development etc.

2- we can add one small specific area showing few "latest modules".

3- similarly we can add another area showing few "latest updated
modules".

By adding 2 & 3 user can easily get to know that what additional
choice he/she have.

Note: I am assuming that search filters and page layout for module and
widget page will be same.

FRONT-END IMPROVEMENT (on particular module and widget page) :

we can add few new sections on module page in-addition to existing
one.

(I) Ranking : 1 to 5 star ranking system .

(II) Dependencies of module (if any) .

(III) Current no of issues with this particular module or widget, This
will help developers to directly access the current running issues.

(IV) Subversion : currently address to subversion is written as text
on silverstripe.org module download page . making a direct link or
fetching data from GIT will be more user friendly.

(V) Update module : we can add some method to detect users installed
version of module and accordingly can automatically download and
update users module (like in askubuntu site they give link to debian
packages for automatically install)

(VI) Project information section : This area may contain following
information about module or widget .
           (a) Maintenance status : like highly, active .
           (b) Development status :
           (c) No of Reported Installs : this may use for searching
           (d) Last modified : date/time

BACK END IMPROVEMENT :

    i am assuming following about existing system.(please correct me
if i am wrong)

(1) All data related to module and widget is coming from GITHUB
server.
(2) Data is not stored internally anywhere on silverstripe.org.
(3) Currently silverstripe.org using "sphinx" as his search server.
(4) logged in users can access "submit your module" link.
(5) after filling module submission and reviewers confirmation using
"addons" module an new entry appears in silverstripe.org/module .

My Suggestion for improving back end .

(1) my past experience with drupal development says that using Apache
Solr can be more better than Sphinx. as silverstripe already have
apache solr module then implementing it with silverstripe is not big
task. (also drupal using this for his huge module repository and for
every search related thing in their site )

(2) we can try to improve synchronisation with github server to
silverstripe server. (i am not sure what kind of method you guys are
using now)

That is all in my mind now so please send me your suggestions and also
please try to remove my confusion about existing system . (finally so
sorry for this HUGE mail !!!) .

spM
web.iiit.ac.in/~sharada.mohanty

--