Google Groups

Re: [silverstripe-dev] GSOC 2012

Vivek Pradhan Mar 28, 2012 6:17 AM
Thanks a lot Phillip

Sory for all the text u had to go through. i just wanted to put my ideas clearly. But i will keep ur advice in my mind.

I checkd out http://www.silverstripe.org/modules/manage/add. There it says, to change an already accepted module on the silverstripe site, the creator can edit it from the link of the module on his profile page. The changes to an already accepted module
will come into effect directly.Does this mean, the user has to fill out the submission form again will all the files so that the module is
updated?

Correct me if i am wrong but u want the user to just upload the one file that has been modified into the specific url of the repository so that the module is updated. Should that not be a part of the module manager rather than the modules index page? I am a little confused about how is it gona work?

Or do u want it to be something like when a logged in user browses to the module page of his own module. There should be an update existing version that allows the above functionality?

Thanks a lot for ur help

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 5:27 AM, xeraa <P.X...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Vivek,

hey there,  I am attaching the module_wireframe with this post. I would be glad if the mentors could tell me where i went wrong
and what did i miss. I would love to improve it. i have given some ideas i had.

Some great ideas there!
However, I find it pretty text heavy and they're not wireframes (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Website_wireframe). While you're definitely not required to produce wireframes, I find them very helpful in communicating your ideas clearly.

I have one question though. One of the objectives of this idea is to allow easier updates to ones own module/widget.
I mean if somebody is working on a fork or some update. He can give the link to the git fork in the activity stream..
I did not understand in what sense are we talking about here? And how is that indicated to the infrastructure of the modules and
widgets page?

At the moment, you fill out a form and someone at ss.org accepts your module and publishes it. However that process is a little tedious, especially for updates.
In the new system, the information should be extracted from a file inside the repository and you only need to post the URL to your repository. Updates could then be fetched automatically from your (revisioned) file.
I assume initial submissions must be accepted by someone at ss.org to avoid crap entries. However, I'm not sure what the plan for updates is.
IMHO your module will also need to handle that clearance process.

With forks it gets a little more complicated. As long as the module is still maintained, forks should get their changes into the original repo via pull requests. So no change on our side is required.
However, if a module is abandoned, we might need to introduce some transfer mechanism (change the base URL to a new location and retrieve the information from there from now on).
If someone creates a competing fork, he will need to enter it himself, as both the old and the new version will need to be listed (but I hope this only happens rarely).

Hope this answers your question :-).

Cheers,
Philipp