Google Groups

Re: [silverstripe-dev] GSOC 2012

Vivek Pradhan Mar 27, 2012 3:50 AM
hey there,  I am attaching the module_wireframe with this post. I would be glad if the mentors could tell me where i went wrong
and what did i miss. I would love to improve it. i have given some ideas i had.

I have one question though. One of the objectives of this idea is to allow easier updates to ones own module/widget.
I mean if somebody is working on a fork or some update. He can give the link to the git fork in the activity stream..
I did not understand in what sense are we talking about here? And how is that indicated to the infrastructure of the modules and
widgets page?

Thanks again!

On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 9:20 AM, Vivek Pradhan <sasuke...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks a lot for ur input Phillip.

Its just that i thought that something that shows the total number of downloads for a particular module will be good. So i went
into implementing that. I really appreciate Ingo giving me those references, They will really come in handy.

But yes, I want to update the modules page, so i should not really think about the how the modules are managed right now.
Yes, I understand you want it to be simple. I will work on some basic design which reflect what i want
from the modules page i.e how the functionality is made easier for the user so that he gets all the information he wants and
can navigate his way around the modules page. That has been my idea all along but thanks for telling me what exactly u want.

I will get done with some wire frames asap and mail them to you.

Thanks again.

On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 4:48 AM, Sam Minnée <s...@silverstripe.com> wrote:
Yes - IMO we should have exactly one way of getting a module into the repository: "Please provide the URL of the repository where the Composer package is located"

On 27/03/2012, at 12:12 PM, Andrew Short wrote:

Just one quick note - it'd be best to avoid directly interacting with VCSs is possible, since Composer abstracts this so you can use git/hg/svn, and implementing info retrieval from all thes would be non-trivial and hard to maintain, especially if Composer adds new features.

Andrew Short.

On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 9:57 AM, xeraa <P.X...@gmail.com> wrote:
Just to make sure: Vivek you want to update the module page, right? Because I got the feeling that part of the discussion started to drift off to the module manager part.

As I've said in another thread, I really like the idea of having wireframes (nothing fancy, focus on the functionality) for this as it's much easier to show rather than to describe. Ideally you can keep that in sync with the ideas for the module manager and can then define:
* This is stored at ss.org (ratings for example)
* This is fetched via Packagist / Composer (and possibly stored at ss.org as well for the search functionality)
* This is fetched from GitHub / SVN directly
* We provide the following search / order by features
* ...

Cheers,
Philipp