Currently, changing the title in an "Edit page" view brings up this annoying JS alert asking for confirmation to change the URL as well. That's much too intrusive.
I suggest that we do the following:
* Move the URL below the "Page name" field, so changes to it are directly visible where they are caused
* Make the field readonly by default (or replace with standard text styling)
* Add small "edit" button to the right of the URL which reveals the input field
* Once the input field shows, also show a button labelled "update from title"
* This new "URL edit view" could also show further help text by default, for example noting that old URLs will still be found and redirected (an important and little known fact to authors)
* Note: The field already updates/rewrites the value dynamically via ajax, to apply transliteration and other rules defined through URLSegmentFilter (which now actually supports UTF8 URLs if configured this way)
Do you guys think this is a good idea?
I can't promise to actually have it happen in 3.0 (definetly not in beta),
but it seems like a good point in time to change an important piece of the UI for the better, right?