Google Groups

Re: [Scrum] How do we calculate ROI for following Agile practices in our projects?

Dan Rawsthorne Nov 27, 2012 8:16 PM
Posted in group: Scrum Alliance - transforming the world of work.
Don't understand your comment, but ok. I guess you're saying that since people often use productivity measures for evil purposes, you shouldn't have productivity metrics, and I think I disagree. :)

Dan Rawsthorne, PhD, PMP, CST
Author of Exploring Scrum: the Fundamentals
On 11/27/2012 4:50 PM, RonJeffries wrote:

On Nov 27, 2012, at 6:56 PM, Dan Rawsthorne <> wrote:

It is a good measure of productivity as long as StoryPoints are about size of the product. A good size metric is functional tests passed, or scenarios releases, or even use cases releases. It is interesting to think about how to measure the size of the delta between product increments. But, since we know we are incrementing the product, there should be some way to measure it, right? That is productivity... how big is the increment delivered each sprint? If you can put numbers on it, this is velocity.

Yes, that is velocity. And it is wrong. It's wrong because:
  • It can be misused, and usually is;
  • It can be gamed, and usually is;

And most of all, because it is working on the short end of the lever. What's important in Agile is steering the project by selecting things to do and things to defer, not working the cost side of the equation and trying to improve it.

A team that is focusing on velocity is not focusing on value. I wish I had never invented velocity, if in fact I did.

Ron Jeffries
There's no word for accountability in Finnish.
Accountability is something that is left when responsibility has been subtracted.
--Pasi Sahlberg

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Scrum Alliance - transforming the world of work." group.
To post to this group, send email to
For more options, visit this group at