Google Groups

Re: [scala-internals] Re: Scala 2.11 may require Java 7

Adriaan Moors Mar 7, 2013 10:20 AM
Posted in group: scala-user

On Thu, Mar 7, 2013 at 9:41 AM, Jesper Nordenberg <mega...@yahoo.com> wrote:
- What's the time plan for the 2.11 release?

- How long will the 2.10 branch be maintained?
Forever. Or did you mean by Typesafe? It depends on the business case, but I think it's safe to say 2.9's lifespan is a good indicator. We hope to provide more frequent minor releases in 2.10, especially if we decide to require Java 7 in 2.11.

- What features in Java 7 besides invokedynamic would be beneficial (or are planned) for Scala to depend upon?
That's the big one (faster closures, potentially faster structural types,...).
Not having our own fork/join jar in the dist will be a nice bonus.

cheers
adriaan