Google Groups

Re: [scala-internals] Experiences from the SIP 18 conversion

Adriaan Moors Apr 14, 2012 10:55 AM
Posted in group: scala-internals
the downside of larger tests is that they convey less information: what exactly do they test?
especially for type checker-related bugs, it's massively useful to have small tests,
or you immediately drown in -Ytyper-debug output

if many test files pose practical problems, maybe tools can help?
partest's --update-check has already saved me a lot of time,
and I'm sure there's more we can improve in this area

cheers
adriaan

On Sat, Apr 14, 2012 at 7:25 PM, martin odersky <martin....@epfl.ch> wrote:

On Sat, Apr 14, 2012 at 1:10 AM, Eugene Burmako <eugene....@epfl.ch> wrote:
Hi Martin,

Since you've mentioned that changing macro tests was painful, could you, please, elaborate?

Is this the sheer amount of tests that caused trouble? Is this something else? How could I improve in the future?

It was simply the number of tests. What would recommend is to merge tests into larger files. That should also improve times spent testing which means people run tests more often, which should be good for everyone.

In fact that's it's not just macros but a lot of other tests as well that could be profitably merged.

Cheers

 - Martin