Google Groups

testing states

Adam Nave Apr 10, 2012 12:48 PM
Posted in group: Salt-users
What's a good way to test states before deploying them to a server? Other than testing on a snapshot or a different server, of course. I found salt '*' state.show_highstates --yaml gives me a readable but still complex overview of what it's going to try to do, but I was really hoping there'd be some kind of dry-run functionality where I'd get the diff files and output that a state.highstate command gives me. I'm starting to deploy salt on an existing infrastructure and my systems are not quite asĀ consistentĀ as I had hoped, so there's going to be a lot of manual checking to make sure I don't blow away special custom configs.