Google Groups

Re: [crash] Interested in helping out with developing an air quality monitoring system?

jeffp Apr 10, 2012 9:22 PM
Posted in group: Safecast Air Quality Discussion
From the hip:

o  Is it useful to measure O2 in open spaces?  It tends to vary very little.
o  Which sensors are solid state and which use consumables or have very
short life spans?

/J

On 04/10/2012 02:28 PM, pete-crashspace wrote:

I'm very interested in this project and will contribute.  I'll add a list of sensors used by the Air Quality Board of California for freeway fume monitoring, and a list of sensors the EPA uses for natural disasters, like 911.  The initial list of chemicals to be covered are:

Oxygen
Carbon Dioxide
Carbon Monoxide
Sulfur Oxides SOx
Nitrogen Oxides NOx
H2S - sewer gas
Ozone

where for this I know sensors cost between 20 to 40 dollars for low sensitivity, ppm range.  For ppb range, sensors go up in price between 50 to 200.  It's not for everyone, but it would be good to have a few of each in neighborhood.

There are also the smog measurements, both the initial smog chemicals measured by California, which included non visible molecules, which were removed from the list measured.  Also, high altitude smog components known to be even more toxic are not measured.

Also, jet fuel fumes for near airports.  And for the prevailing downwind direction from factory sections of town, we should add toluene, acetone, alcohol, and other VOC's, cleaners, known to be in use at those facilities.

Asbestos is a more difficult one, and should be rotated to those stations downwind of building being demolished.

So, creating Google map zones, or our own OpenGIS website, listing sources (based on government and private industry web published lists) and their prevailing "plume" direction and size, for recommending types of sensors in/under the plume, as well as displaying real time results.

I know a self funding method after we have several stations in operation.

I'm all for regular monthly meetings, for face to face, design and implement and test meetings.

It would would be good to become a certified calibration lab in the awesome state of California, so we do not have to go Weights and Measures department labs, and pay their fee rates.

BTW, these sensors come with boards that are Arduino compatible!!!

Or the raw sensor can be hooked directly to the Arduino.

Better, is bulk buying likely can cut the price down.

Peter