Google Groups

Re: river4 on Nodejitsu

Dave Winer Jun 14, 2014 5:37 AM
Posted in group: river4
Dave, thanks for the information about Nodejitsu and the package.json file.

Re the river format, it should be totally possible to create a mailbox-style interface from the data under the river. All the per-feed data is available in the data structures maintained by RIver4, and if any are needed beyond what's there I'm totally open to adding more.

Having a distributed feed system is very important to the health of RSS.

On Friday, June 13, 2014 11:03:48 PM UTC+2, Dave Seidel wrote:
I was able to get river4 running on Nodejitsu without much trouble (I already had an account there, so I wanted to try it out). I will write up the steps soon so that people can see the specific differences relative to deploying on Heroku, but I did want to mention one issue I ran into: one of the module dependencies would not load unless I changed river4's package.json file to use version 0.8.x of node rather than version 0.6.x:

  "engines": {
    "node": "0.8.x"

Unfortunately I did not keep notes of the specific error, but when I write up the details I will recreate the environment so I can provide details. But I have not noticed anything going amiss running river4 under the more current version (the latest stable release if node is actually 0.10.x).

You can see my river here: It is using the OPML file I exported from my Feedly account, since that seemed to be a pretty good test case.

Dave, thanks for creating this and making it open source. The river interface is not my personal preference, but this works well, looks good, and could be a great starting point for someone who wants to build a different style of aggregator. Given the recent Feedly outage, this is starting to look like a more attractive option.

- Dave