Google Groups

Re: finding out Gerrit version

Shawn Pearce Jul 3, 2013 8:35 AM
Posted in group: Repo and Gerrit Discussion
On Wed, Jul 3, 2013 at 5:02 AM, Tomasz Zarna <> wrote:
> What's the most reliable way of finding out what's the version of a Gerrit
> server if the only thing I have is its URL?
> For example:
> checking should give me "2.7-rc2-637-g76c7890"
> -- "2.5.4"
> -- "2.6.1"
> and so on
> Ideally, I would like to be able to recognize ancient versions like 2.1.x as
> well.

There isn't a good way to do this. We didn't export the server version
of HTTP until master (aka 2.8), and even then its embedded into the
host page data object in the / HTML response. Which is never fun to
parse from a program.

But I did find a backdoor into the version for you. Its still not
pretty but may be workable.

Parse the HTML of
There is a "Powered by Gerrit Code Review" footer buried in an <p>

$ curl
charset=UTF-8"><title>Gerrit Code Review -
right; font-style: italic">Powered by Gerrit Code Review

This feature first appeared in 2.1.2-rc0 and has been available
unmodified since.

A change to add /config/server/version as a REST API that can be more
reliably polled and parsed would be welcome.