Google Groups

Re: IJA Festival 2012 HLGCB

Richard Kohut Jr Jul 27, 2012 11:37 PM
Posted in group: rec.juggling
High:
Coming up with awesome Kendama stuff and competing with Adam Kapilow.  Gettin
to be good friends with the guy!  And for good reason, we're cool together and
at a very similar skill level in kendama even with a hugely different skill
set.  We mesh.

Ea Eo.  Enough said.  That was the most EPIC show I've seen in ages, and I
said it right there in the theater to Adam right after the huge hour and a
half show ended for the intermission.  "That is what RDL SHOULD have been"  It
was creative, awesome tricks, huge and entertaining characters and the
relationships between them, a great theme, awesome performing skills, and just
such an epic style to the whole thing.  It was addictive how good it was.

Third place in the 3 ball blind competition!  I was stunned when it happened,
and you can see it on the video I'll be putting up later on for the podcast.
I felt pretty good at blind juggling the seconds before the comp, but I was
stunned at how good I really was then, second and first went to Doug sayers
and Ferman, incredible.

The Kendama open.  THAT, while I competed and sucked horribly in the
intermediate ladder and speed competitions, I did pull my helicopter spacewalk
sequence in best trick along with a few other things I'm proud of, and it was
a great comp.

The lounge at the back of the hall!  Oh man I actually think I spent more time
back there playing Pinball, air hockey, and pool than I did juggling lol.  And
while that realization bums me a little, it was well worth it in the end.
Ended up matching Doug Sayers among many others in pool, coming up with EPIC
trick shots for air hockey, and yeah :P

KENDAMA KENDAMA KENDAMA.  SO MUCH KENDAMA!  LOVE KENDAMA!  ADDICTED TO
KENDAMA!  HELP ME SOMEBODY I WANT TO JUGGLE AGAIN INSTEAD OF KENDAMA!  NO
SERIOUSLY HELP ME TAKE MY KENDAMAS AWAY AND BURN THEM KENDAMA!  I CANT SPEAK
KENDAMA CORRECTLY ANYMORE KENDAMA!  I KENDAMA THINK THERE'S KENDAMA SOMETHING
REALLY KENDAMA WRONG WITH KENDAMA ME KENDAMA!  lol.  Ok o yeah, tons of
kendama stuff from the pill to aluminum ones and tons of variations and new
tricks I'm trying and yeah, spacewalk passing with Adam and just so much good
stuff but I don't want this post to be nothing but kendama so I'll leave it at
that lol.

Staying in a double suite with 5 other people basically bringing my hotel
total for the week to under 150 bucks! EPIC!  And we had plenty of space for
everyone to be comfy and it was right in the embassy so I got to just jump out
and through the tunnel to the con center, which was awesome.

Bringing with me my Angled Surface to juggle on and getting like half of the
people in the gym to watch and then try it.  Wa awesome watching Doug have a
chance at the good version instead of the improvised one I setup at WJF last
year and having him do 5 balls crossarm, 5up360, and ton of other stuff on it.

Low:
Getting so damn fatigued by day 4 and upwards, I wanted to juggle so much more
but I was just so damn exhausted lol.

the first and only night I played combat.  Got my thumb bashed in REALLLL
good.  good enough to end my juggling for the night as my thumb was dripping
blood and everything.  woo!

Bane:
Wanting to perform in renegade but having absolutely nothing to perform.  I've
retired Muffin Clutches before it gets old and stale, and I thought about
performing Android Hell but I wasn't prepared to do that either and hence I
had nothing to do...  Grrr...

Camera battery not holding enough charge... grrrr.... I gotta buy a skeleton
housing for my gopro so I can charge it while it's in it's case.

Having soooo much footage to go through now after the fest to put together a
podcast with that it's gonna take me hours and hours and hours to do it.  I
got 2 full hours of footage to go through...

Ah, the ten hour drive to get there and back!  though it really wasn't
actually all that bad this year.  So yeah, listened to tons of podcasts and
episodes of the Penn Jillette radio show on the trip and it turned out great.

Crush:
Ea Eo.  Only ones really crushworthy for me this year lol.  Although Doug's
still a very handsome man and his stage routine is NEVER going to get old in
my opinion lol.

Goal:
Didn't have one for this fest, which was odd.  But I guess I got enough
footage, played at least a few games of combat, passed clubs in a big group,
and did all the other stuff I usually am bummed about missing doing at a con
when I go, so... I guess all goals accomplished lol.