Google Groups

Re: "A lamentation on the demise of books and other artifacts"

Robert Carnegie Apr 24, 2012 8:58 AM
Posted in group: rec.arts.sf.written
On Tuesday, April 24, 2012 4:36:19 PM UTC+1, Kurt Busiek wrote:
> On 2012-04-24 14:26:48 +0000, wds...@panix.com (William December Starr) said:
>
> > In article <jn55s2$mrb$1...@dont-email.me>,
> > Kurt Busiek <ku...@busiek.com> said:
> >
> >> You keep coming back to the idea that everything is someone else's
> >> fault, William. Why should you think anything? Why should you do
> >> anything? Why should you pay attention to anything?
> >
> > Habit, and cowardice.  I sould have killed myself forty years ago.
>
> "Habit," at least, seems like a good enough reason to assume the title
> of a book will be related to the insides, and unfamiliar words or
> usages will actually come up within, then.
>
> Beats assuming book titles must be akin to religion or bullying.

Let me propose that a lot of book titles
/don't/ tell you what you're getting, and
maybe don't mean /anything/ until you've
read the book.  Adult titles particularly.

_Not Dead Yet_ is the most meaningless that
I found in a quick browse at Amazon, and -
supernaturalism aside - seems like a near
minimum necessary condition for a story to
take place.