Google Groups

<SPOILERS/LONG POST> Lawrence Miles's review of "The Ancestor Cell"

Peter Anghelides Jul 8, 2000 12:00 AM
Posted in group: rec.arts.drwho
Just popping in to r.a.dw briefly to share with you some news about
"The Ancestor Cell". Apparently, it's selling really well, and may be
one of the BBC DW Books (as with some others, previously) which
goes into reprint. (I'm told the online view about "The Ancestor Cell"
is currently split, and that while the r.a.dw consensus is that it's
"bollocks", the online review sites think its "the dog's bollocks".
Perhaps someone could e-mail me some of the more insightful or
inciteful reviews.)

If the book does go to reprint, perhaps I'll get the BBC to include
a couple of quotations from Lawrence Miles's review. In the
best tradition of the London West End, I would select
"THE ANCESTOR CELL goes to astonishing new
lengths" and "the perfect way of rounding off the
Eighth Doctor series". One the other hand, perhaps
you should read the whole thing (which someone kindly forwarded
to me recently).

> My Review of THE ANCESTOR CELL,
> by Lawrence Miles.

> Dear God, where do I start?
>
> With a disclaimer, possibly. The trouble is, I've got an
> obvious vested interest here. THE ANCESTOR CELL's on my
> patch. It is, on the whole, a book designed to remove from
> the continuity everything I've ever invented. I
> mean, I'd hate anyone to think I'm *prejudiced*. So maybe
> I'd better explain that, for many years, my relationship
> with Stephen Cole has been one of constant play-fighting:
> this is a man who, when he was still my editor, I
> used to address with letters headed "Dear Chimp-Lips". I
> knew, right from  the start, that he wouldn't take the
> slightest bit of notice of any of "my" ideas on how this
> part of the series' history should turn out.
>
> But the problem with THE ANCESTOR CELL isn't that it messes
> up anything *I* might have thought of. The problem with THE
> ANCESTOR CELL is that it's shit. It's dull, it's stupid,
> it's badly-written, and it's got a plot that
> makes virtually no sense at all, a bunch of loose ends
> roughly tied into the shape of a book with a couple of
> crowd-pleasing set-pieces so randomly thrown into the mix
> that, in retrospect, there's almost a kind of shame in
> having read it. Interesting, then, how *all* the positive
> feedback to the book has revolved around the apocalyptic
> ending: as with EARTHSHOCK, the big climax seems wilfully
> designed to draw the attention away from the fact
> that the story leading up to it is entirely meaningless.
>
> The real problem here, beyond all the laughable attempts at
> tying up every loose end in sight (whether they need tying
> up or not), is that the book's tragically, crashingly banal.
> It's a novel which seriously believes itself to be a
> world-shaking, cataclysmic epic, but which in its "middle
> act" largely consists of drab Time Lord supporting
> characters running up and down corridors being chased by
> spiders, combined with exposition scenes so
> massively over-inflated that they make Julia Sawalha's arse
> look small. What we've basically got is THE INFINITY DOCTORS
> with all the good bits missing, a desperate attempt to do
> something big and important which can't tell the
> difference between "epic" and "just happens to be set on
> Gallifrey".
>
> Gallifrey. That's as good a place to begin the dissection as
> any.
>
> Gallifrey's always been a touchy area. In THE WAR GAMES it's
> something huge and significant, a place of unimaginable
> power and influence, a perfect mythic "core" to a perfect
> mythic universe. In THE DEADLY ASSASSIN Robert Holmes spoils
> things slightly by setting it out as an "ordinary" society,
> but at least he's got the grace to do it with some degree of
> majesty. Later Terrance Dicks works do a pretty good job
> devaluing the Gallifrey myth, turning it into just another
> hi-tech planet full of people with funny one-syllable names,
> [...]

My favourite bit is the last line--on which basis I'd like to nominate
this
for the r.a.dw quote file.

Looking on the bright side, at least I now know that Lawrence received
the
book through the post safely. The good news for LM fans is that he told
me (earlier this year) that he's been writing "The Faction Paradox
Protocols
(Volume One)" for BBV.

Peter Anghelides
--