Google Groups

Re: [RavenDB] Re: Pricing - summary

Paul Stovell Apr 23, 2012 10:41 AM
Posted in group: RavenDB - 2nd generation document database
What if I buy two Embedded licenses - can I then use two processes? :) Why does the Embedded version even have UseEmbeddedHttpServer if nothing can use it?

For the sake of keeping my product install ultra simple I'd really like to stick to embedded at first. It looks like I am now faced with hosting ASP.NET within my Windows Service, or modifying my installer to auto-install RavenDB Server, just because of a licensing gap...

Also, any idea what the ballpark price for RavenDB Server will be? $1,599, $15,999?

I love RavenDB and I'd love to find a way to make this work without compromising my end user experience.

Paul

On Monday, 23 April 2012 18:05:37 UTC+1, Oren Eini wrote:
Paul,
No, embedded means using only within a single process. Not when you have multiple processes.
There is going to a RavenDB ISV Server version, which will give you the ability to just deploy standard ravendb at the customer site, royalty free.

On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 8:02 PM, Paul Stovell <goo...@paulstovell.com> wrote:
I'm migrating my product (octopusdeploy.com) to RavenDB and I'm just about to buy a license. My application is split into two pieces - a Windows Service and an ASP.NET frontend. Both processes run on the same machine. The only reason they are separate is that I need some scheduled tasks to run in the background, and hosting ASP.NET in a Windows Service isn't fun.

I don't want to force customers to have to buy a server license, so I'm using the OEM version. Since I have two processes touching the same database, the way I've implemented it is to use the embedded server in the Windows Service, and then to set UseEmbeddedHttpServer and have the ASP.NET frontend connect to the embedded instance over HTTP using the client API.

I'm still only using the capabilities of the embedded server, so I assumed this was "fair" and within the terms of the OEM license. But reading about the possibility of an OEM/Server version has me second guessing that now.

Is it within the terms of the OEM/Embedded license to use UseEmbeddedHttpServer and have a second process connect to the embedded instance? And will it still be OK under the new license model?

I'm all for a re-distributable OEM/Server version so that I can get RavenDB out of my process, I'd just like some clarity.

Thanks,
Paul

On Tuesday, 28 February 2012 23:04:49 UTC, Oren Eini wrote:
Hi guys,

It is intended merely to summarize our current thinking, and not meant to be binding or final decisions.

RavenDB is being split into three editions.

RavenDB Basic - monthly subscription only (5$ - 512 MB db size limit, 5 databases limit. 10$ - 1GB db size limit, 10 databases limit). A single indexing thread, 2 GB memory limit.

RavenDB Standard - what we have with RavenDB right now. 6 CPU + 12 GB limit.
999$ for a one time payment - 18 months upgrade protection.
399$ for a yearly subscription - as long as you have a current subscription, you can use the software and get free upgrades.
39$ for a monthly subscription

RavenDB Enterprise - per core licensing. No limits on CPU / Mem. Additional features, detailed in the previous email.
Per core pricing (# of cores == Environment.ProcessCount) is 699$ per core - 18 months upgrade protection.
299$ per core per year
79$ per core per quarter

In addition to that we have two additional licensing modes.

OEM - embedded only - 1599$ per developer for the first year.
999$ per developer for renewal.

Scaleout - bundles of 10, 20 and 50 licenses for scaleout / sharding scenarios, which are sold at a reduced cost.

Development will continue to be free.