Google Groups

Re: [PS1-Public] Beer Church this Sunday 9/20 at Noon

Ryan Pierce Sep 21, 2012 10:51 AM
Posted in group: Pumping Station: One Public
Sorry I'm not going to be able to make it. Assuming brewing happens....

I never have had a stuck mash before using the same recipe. My guess on what happened was that during the dough in, someone else was stirring vigorously, and I never explained the false bottom concept. I think it got tipped, and mash got under it, plugging it. Oops.

What software are you using? Looks seriously cool but I don't see a mash schedule listed with temp and water amount.

Also, that's 13 lbs of grain/adjuncts. So far I've only done 8 lbs in that cooler with 2 2/3 gal water. I have a second Gott cooler, twice as large, for high gravity beers, that I'd be very happy to bring in. (The original owner wanted it for barley wines.) But it is at home and I'm in Portland. (Hey, any hacker spaces in Portland? I've already discovered Powell's Books, which is a hacker's wet dream. Shelves of tube amp books, stuff on Arduino, stuff on machining.... I've never been in a book store that large!) So I don't know the upper limits on how much my mash tun can hold.

Another factor to consider: It seems beer #1 had a stuck ferment, at 1.018 at racking. I'm hoping it will resume in the carboys now that the yeast is stirred up. But I'm thinking what could have happened, especially from others because I wasn't there. Some thoughts on possible causes:

* Adequate wort aeration when transferring to bucket?

* What kind of yeast was used? Was a starter used? How hot was the wort when the pitching happened? Problems pitching could do it.

* Did the recipe have lots of unfermentables? Did it have adequate yeast nutrients?

* Fermentation temp was initially high until we got Chillmon working. Usually too low cold shocks yeast, and sticks the ferment. (But too high is bad too; produces off favors.)

Happy Brewing! (Or should I say, Hoppy Brewing?)

Ryan

On Sep 20, 2012, at 9:11 AM, Andy Pace <andy...@gmail.com> wrote:

Here's a quick back of the envelope base recipe:

The ingredients that are missing are where all the fun in a pumpkin beer is - the spices!

I'd like to get some thoughts on which to use - i'm personally a fan of cinnamon, ginger, allspice, nutmeg and clove in holiday beers.

Hell if it were up to me we'd just toss in .50tsp of each! The base recipe is very, well, base, so these spices are really going to come through, along with the pumpkin.

The yeast is also very neutral. Makes a great platform for these types of beers.

Let me know what you all think!

On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 10:53 AM, Andy Pace <andy...@gmail.com> wrote:
Pumpkin beers are quite the step up, but I think we can handle it!

I'll start drawing up a recipe and send it around for feedback. Probably using Libby's pumpkin pie in a can. I've used it before and it's much easier than using pumpkin and turns out great.

PREPARE FOR A STUCK MASH. Although I got a few tricks up my sleeve to lower the chances of that happening :)

On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 10:19 AM, malerie kaplan <kawai...@gmail.com> wrote:
pumpkin, pumpkin, pumpkin

On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 9:59 AM, Eric Stein <to...@des.truct.org> wrote:
Excuse me!  9/23! NOT 9/20!

Eric

On 09/20/2012 09:57 AM, Eric Stein wrote:
Hello all!

Beer Church this Sunday.  Be there or be square.  Discuss brewing in this thread as I have no plans on what exactly we are brewing this weekend, although Malerie was thinking of maybe Pumpkin beer.

http://pumpingstationone.org/2012/09/beer-church-920-at-noon/

Eric

-Malerie

Andy Pace