Google Groups

Re: [2.0.1 Java] is Play 2.0.1 ready for production deployment now?

peter hausel May 12, 2012 6:30 AM
Posted in group: play-framework
Hi James,

On Friday, May 11, 2012 11:50:45 AM UTC-4, James Roper wrote:
Depends on what you mean by production ready.  I would have no problems running Play 2.0 on a production system - it works, and all the bugs I've encountered can be worked around (eg, if it doesn't work on Java 7, use Java 6).  But I also have no fears about jumping into the source code and debugging problems and fixing things for myself.

Could you please put together a simple app that demonstrates the java 7 issue? I could not replicate it myself (on os x, using play 2.1-snapshot).

 None of the gaping functionality holes were fixed either.
Could you please elaborate?

If by production ready, you mean mature, then no, Play 2.0.1 is not mature, and I don't think any of the Play devs would try and argue against that.

The framework is young (so in terms of age is by definition "not mature"). Maturity in terms of expectations is highly personal ie lots of folks have specific (and sometimes unrealistic) expectations on what a framework should do for them.

For me it all comes down to whether I can build an app that has predictable runtime characteristics, that provides fast development cycles and cutting edge features, that also has a good eco system and active community(~30 plugins, 5500+ on the mailing list etc.). From my perspective play2 fits the bill. Your mileage may vary.