Google Groups

Re: flash moocs (was Re: [p2pu-community] What's Your P2PU Dream Course?)

mick fuzz Jun 27, 2012 4:53 AM
Posted in group: P2PU Community

On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 4:37 PM, Jessy Kate Schingler <je...@jessykate.com> wrote:
hehe, i am used to getting strange looks at the bar, so i know where you are coming from... :)

so... IIUC, the flash mooc activity would be to create and populate a p2pu challenge, where the topic is installing, configuring, using, and customizing/hacking statusnet? a bit like the "contributing to lernanta" course, it's sort of living, participatory documentation.

i think this is cool, if a bit meta! but i wonder, what is it that makes this a "course"? i see an argument that a) documentation is definitely more fun to build socially, and b) writing things down is often a great way to learn and make sure you understand them. (or, maybe, who cares if its a "course"? and that doesn't matter per se, beause it's still useful?).

I think you are right, while a good thing in itself it doesn't quite fit for a flash mooc as you describe it.
I was trying to roll a few things together I guess.
  • The idea of a flash or sprint for creating a course which could mirror some of the book sprint elements - http://www.booksprints.net/about/
  • The idea of using status.net for a communication tool for a flash mooc -
  • The idea of using this activity as excuse to get better status.net docs for new users.
So I don't want to send this thread off in a different direction so I'll come back to your original question as I'm enjoying throwing these ideas out there!

> conditions/local rules to set such a flash mooc in motion. what types of
> learning experiences would be appropriate for and best supported by a high
> intensity burst of interaction? how do you build "reflective practice" into
> the flash mooc structure? what types of outputs could we expect? and what
> would make it a course versus just a shared experience?

So maybe learing to use Status.net rather than creating a status.net course is a good candidate for a flash mooc. Of course we'd have to create a course first.

I say this because you need people to interact with to really test out this social networking software. It suits getting lots of people on board at one time. I know that plenty of my friends would like to escape facebook but lack any kind of critical mass of friends using other tools to be able to do that. A critical mass of accidental friends could help. (I've seen that happen a bit with diaspora). So a flash Mooc course in this area would certainly be best supported by a high intensity burst of interaction especially if lead by a community of interest like p2pu.

Reflective practice for new users could come through the use of the new tool and through interaction with existing communities. Trying to share understanding of the advantages of federation and open web technologies is also an additional, reflective learning outcome.

It could be a skill based course with a badge available saying you can sent dents, connect to other users, join and post to groups, and interact across different status net installs.

Outputs?

Here's a bit of a story.

One of my colleagues gave 2 presentations a couple of gatherings. He outlined what Status.net was, what the implications of 'federated social web' were and offered to set up a Status.net node if we used it and invited our friends. He set it up at http://Indy.im

Very quickly it spread amongst friends and campaigns. So now there is a fairly wide circle of us that use a combination of status.net  and blog posts linked to in our 'dents' (read tweets). For us this is a very effective replacement for facebook and email lists. Well not a replacement but a good alternative. It allows us to dip into the conversation when we want to and adds lots of new content (mostly open tech and protest related) into the status.net eco system. It's a great resource for us which required minimal effort!

It is totally possible to imagine a similar output for a flash MooC on using Status.net which invites people to join the http://social.p2pu.org/ instal.  It would add a lot of peer / online learning content into the status.net eco-system and promote exchange of info between the existing status.net community (which is pretty massive) and p2pu folk.

So this is just blue sky thinking as it would need quite a bit of preparation. But there were traction in this kind of idea then I think that there would be people in the FM community that would input into process of creating docs for a course and there are links to the Status.net developers that could be explored.

Sorry for the length of that post, I'm clearly avoiding other work!

mick