Google Groups

Open Letter Newsletter -- November 2008

Open Letter Newsletter Nov 5, 2008 9:24 AM
Posted in group: Open Letter Books

Having problems viewing this email? Click here to view it online.

SPECIAL GALLEY GIVEAWAY

This is the first time we're doing this, but we ended up with a couple extra galleys of Vilnius Poker by Ricardas Gavelis, and rather than let them go to waste, we decided to give them away to our readers.

Vilnius Poker is about life (and paranoia) in Lithuania during Soviet times. It's the story of Vytauas Vargalys, a man who has lived through the labor camps, works an absurd job creating a digital catalog for a library no one can access, and who is convinced that an undefined "they" is dismantling the world and crushing everyone's soul. Told through four differing—and often contradictory—viewpoints, Gavelis's novel is incredibly ambitious and all-encompassing, and is considered by many critics to be the "turning point in Lithuanian literature."